Windows 7 Connection Issues

Hawk

I've been using the various versions of Windows 7 for about 8 months now, and was fine until just about a month ago. That being said, I have tried various tweaks and fixes suggested on both these forums and others, and have actually reformatted 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I am now using Windows 7 Professional (Build 7600, x65) as gotten from the MSDN Academic alliance.

Full system specs are at the bottom of the post, so here's the issue: Intermittently, this PC is randomly suffering connectivity issues that are not a result of the network (which I know because I am monitoring it from my laptop running Windows XP on the same swtich, and have been bugging the heck out of the network administrator). It is a college dorm network, so I do not really have access to most of the particulars. One of the biggest issues is that when I play WoW, I commonly get stuck at 'Success' while logging in, and have consistent and truly annoying lag spikes in Ventrilo. Another good example is that when I try to stream video files off of this computer from my laptop, which is hooked up to my TV, it lags out regularly for no good reason that I can find.

I really, really like Windows 7, but if I can't find a solution to this issue pretty soon, I'm really afraid it's going to have to sit on the shelf for 8 months until I move out of the dorms again. I truly appreciate any tips or ideas anyone might have, and thank you in advance.

System specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional (Build 7600, x64)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard: EVGA NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Superclocked
Memory: CORSAIR 4GB (TWIN2X4096-6400C5)

Will you try this for me and let me know if you still get disconnects?

Disable ALL your Scheduled tasks. I recommend you first use a program called Autoruns (google for it) because you can simply uncheck boxes. The disable feature in the Scheduler is not so easy.

Whatever method you use, run the Scheduler and make sure ALL tasks are disabled.

See you get disconnects and let me know. Thanks

Are you running any third party firewall?

More possible solutions.... Please try to determine if disabling tasks works first.... if not try this and check to see if it works
Disable the IP Helper service:
1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Test that... if that doesn't work try this:

Here is a microsoft program that may fix it... you just click "Fix for me" and let it work

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I disabled all the scheduled tasks using Autoruns. So far it seems to have cleared up some of the issues I was having for sure (hoping its not just a coincidence since my issues come and go), but I'm going to keep an eye on things for a while to make sure it works before trying anything else you suggested.

That being said, thanks a ton for the quick replies =)

I disabled all the scheduled tasks using Autoruns. So far it seems to have cleared up some of the issues I was having for sure (hoping its not just a coincidence since my issues come and go), but I'm going to keep an eye on things for a while to make sure it works before trying anything else you suggested.

That being said, thanks a ton for the quick replies =)

I hope that 's the fix... there are so many diagnostics gathering tasks for reports and then sending them to Microsoft that I don't know how an older computer can keep up enough to actually DO what the user wants to do.

Ironically, it's the "Microsoft Reliability Analysis task " (Rac ) that seems to be the most guilty one of knocking out the internet when one of the "multiple triggers" calls it to run.

Well, the up-side is that your suggested fixed the issues I was having with stuff like logging into games. The downside is that I still get periodic lag spikes for no good reason, where I am effectively losing the connection (based on monitoring a connection from my laptop).

I did all of the stuff in your second post, but it didn't seem to effect anything.

Well, the up-side is that your suggested fixed the issues I was having with stuff like logging into games. The downside is that I still get periodic lag spikes for no good reason, where I am effectively losing the connection (based on monitoring a connection from my laptop).

I did all of the stuff in your second post, but it didn't seem to effect anything.

There are some connection tweaks/optimizations mentioned in my blogs.. but

That may just be in your provider. I noticed a substantial lag in my cable internet connection after the cable company brought out a box so we could get two movie channels that were not included in our basic service. I unplugged the box since I spend my life reading and writing about computer stuff and don't have time to watch Stars. ..where was I ? Oh yeah... when I unplugged the cable box and just plugged directly to the tv my connection upload speed picked up .. maybe a coniencidence but at least suspicious enough to mention.

Try some internet optimization tricks. Some of the commercial utilities... like the ones that do registry optimization and the pcmag utilities will run for 30 days .. and they have connection optimization features. Once optimized you don't need the software.

Also, there are network monitoring charts that may help you see if programs you run take priority even when they don't use it. Someone needs to look into that. I know uTorrent has options to set the priority for specific files you may be sharing from low to normal to high. Spikes may also be related to services coming on and going off. Microsoft has so many "reports" being gathered and sent ... and probalby many of them do not have any kind of OFF switch like those in the Task Scheduler.

Keep us informed.

Yeah, I'm used to blaming my provider or campus network for messing up my internet. I also know I can blame some of the more annoying lag spikes over the last few days on them because my room mate has been lagging at identical times sometimes on his laptop running XP. However, the issue that I am trying to get at is the fact that even without worrying about the internet connection, when I have an internal network running between my computers, the other computers will randomly lose connections to the one running 7.

Either way, I'm taking a look at your blog to see if I can find any interesting tweaks to try out.

Back