Windows 7 Connection prpblems

xelaw

Two problems which I found recently that are new (things were fine before). They may be connected or they may be separate problems:

1) I have hyperlinks to web pages in a number of my Excel files, and also in Word files. All of a sudden, the links don't call up the web pages. Instead, I get an error message like: "Unable to open http://[URL of link] . Cannot locate the internet server or proxy server."
My default browser is Firefox. If I copy the link from the Excel cell and manually paste it into Firefox it comes up just fine. This happens for all links that I try in Excel or Word.
If I press on a link that I have in Windows Explorer, it works fine as well.

2) Trying to debug the above problem I went to Internet Explorer (11) to make that my default browser to see what happens. I found that IE doesn't work! IE comes up and says "This page can't be displayed" no matter what page is requested. There's a button there that says f"Fix Connection Problems." It I press that, a window pops up that says "Problem found. The remote device or resource won't accept the connection." Duh! No help at all.

I can surf the web just fine with Firefox or Chrome. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom