Windows 8 Consumer Preview Download

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Here is the link for the ISOs.Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO formats
The product key
Product Key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J
is located in text just below the ISO download info.
As this is a pre-release version, please be cautious as to how you go about the installation and avoid upgrading your current OS, ideally you may wish to test on a non-production machine, virtual machine, dual boot scenario or a completely separate drive installed alone and used independently for this purpose only.
Regards
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is going fast! Using "Down Them All" d/l manager on Firefox, it's moving at 1.16MB/sec, which is faster than what I thought it would be. After the 64 bit gets through, I'll download the 32 bit too, just to have it.

Cat

Everything is going fast! Using "Down Them All" d/l manager on Firefox, it's moving at 1.16MB/sec, which is faster than what I thought it would be. After the 64 bit gets through, I'll download the 32 bit too, just to have it.

Cat
Same here Cat.... although I'll be installing the 32 bit version on my Old P4 3.2 GHz HT, laptop.... just for fun and seeing how the performance is on older hardware

Installing now..needs a key, maybe try this one..seems to be working.

The process for getting a key Trouble describes later is probably the best way to go. Using a separate key may not allow the install to have access to all its features.

Up and running 10:25 a.m. Central.

Not at all sure, but what I did was I went here Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview and started the auto installer which is a small download. It generates a product key which I then wrote down. I cancelled that install and ran the install using the ISO / USB thumb drive and used that product key which I had obtained from the previous aborted install. Again not sure if that is at all proper, just what I did to get me through the install

I went and got a key like you after I installed, I would not think Microsoft would care.

My primary system showed 6 problems when the Upgrade advisor ran, so I will not be putting it there. This system loaded up fine, but all the ASUS drivers say they are not compatible with this version. I suppose I will try the compatibility option, if there is one.

I only ran the Developer's version for a few days, so I will have to get used to this like it was new...

I went and got a key like you after I installed, I would not think Microsoft would not care.

My primary system showed 6 problems when the Upgrade advisor ran, so I will not be putting it there. This system loaded up fine, but all the ASUS drivers say they are not compatible with this version. I suppose I will try the compatibility option, if there is one.

I only ran the Developer's version for a few days, so I will have to get used to this like it was new...
I can't imagine that they would care either Clark, since you evidently require a product key and have to obtain it through some method. The only issue I had was with an old printer which I don't even have anymore and a report about Microsoft Security Essentials, which of course is now embedded. I did a clean custom install to another drive that I had available and only had that drive connected, so now I can just use F12 during POST to select my Win8 or Win7 drives without the complications of dual booting

Same here Cat.... although I'll be installing the 32 bit version on my Old P4 3.2 GHz HT, laptop.... just for fun and seeing how the performance is on older hardware
Thanks for the idea, Trouble. Think I'll do the same to my older Pentium notebook/HTPC. :)

Installing now..needs a key, maybe try this one..seems to be working.

The process for getting a key Trouble describes later is probably the best way to go. Using a separate key may not allow the install to have access to all its features.

Up and running 10:25 a.m. Central.
The key was right there below the download links. I'm assuming that the keys were the same for the English versions for everyone. Both bit versions uses the same key.
Go back to the OP, where the links were, click onto it, you'll see the key. This is a fast OS, faster than Windows 7 on my anemic PC, I like it. But I hate this "Metro" crap. I want a regular old Windows desktop, just like I've enjoyed for 12 years.

The key was right there below the download links. I'm assuming that the keys were the same for the English versions for everyone. Both bit versions uses the same key.
Go back to the OP, where the links were, click onto it, you'll see the key. This is a fast OS, faster than Windows 7 on my anemic PC, I like it. But I hate this "Metro" crap. I want a regular old Windows desktop, just like I've enjoyed for 12 years.

When I saw that idiotic fish as a logo I suspected a mess, it should have been a dead fish I hate the Metro crap too I want the Classic Desktop! The little app I used on Developer Preview to get it doesn't work now. I guess they are determined to ram it down the user's throat anyway. It should go over well with business users. I got it loaded on a virtual hard drive then a thunder storm came thru so I haven't had to much time with it.
Joe

Getting the key, was a bit of a Detour, but for some weird reason, I went back to the download page and there it was, big as day.

I installed the 32 bit version on a spare HD on my ten year old backup system and it did install ok with all the necessary drivers, even for my Intellinet Wireless (PCI) card. However, the video drivers it came up with leave a lot to be desired.

Then I installed the 64 bit version, again on a spare HD, on my main system and again it installed all the necessary drivers so that all my installed hardware Works.
I finally got to a classic desktop, but then I found no start button, no programs menu, no, no, no!
The script to disable Metro UI did not work. Classic shell installed but does nothing.
Many things that DID work just fine on Win-8/DP, now do not work at all.

For instance, when I arrange the icons on my desktop, the way I want them, the arrangement will not save when I reboot. They are all randomly jammed up against the left side of the screen.
I found the native way to shutdown very cumbersome and leaving a lot to ones imagination. It takes several keystrokes to just get to the shutoff icon.
My own shutdown routine, as an icon on the desktop, from XP, does work and the whole computer is down and dark in less than 8 sec's.

Without a touch screen, which I'm sure not a lot of testers have, yet, the Metro UI is still a mess. Kinda like a bucket of worms.

I finally installed the "City Lights" theme for the desktop and that looks nice, but to quickly get to a program, without a Programs Menu, I wound up going into Windows Explorer, finding the .exe file for the program and sending it to the desktop as a shortcut. That's very cumbersome and way beyond the ability of the average user.

Voila! AVG FREE does install and run normally.
Firefox 10.0.2 installed but has a problem bringing up this forum. Go figure!
I did get to this forum using I.E. (shuddering violently)

So, until some advanced programmer, (hacker) finds a way to turn off the Metro UI, like we did in Win-8/DP, the new Win-8 is kind of a wash.

In it's present form, I'll never run it as my main OS. XP lives on!

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Wayne, IE 10 works rather nice. Give it a try. I'm also a little disappointed about no Metro shutoff, but can work around that. The lack of Start Orb is a little disconcerting. I'm still working my way around the new interface. Instead of the Start Orb, use Windows Key and go back to Metro and use the Metro app tile to start the selected app. I still can't get usded to the Metro app looks. I'm sure someone will figure out some hacks to do some of the things we were getting accustomed to with DP.

I'll keep playing with it and try to learn some of the work arounds and see what happens.

Talk later. Have a great evening.

Cheers, Ted

Wayne, IE 10 works rather nice. Give it a try. I'm also a little disappointed about no Metro shutoff, but can work around that. The lack of Start Orb is a little disconcerting. I'm still working my way around the new interface. Instead of the Start Orb, use Windows Key and go back to Metro and use the Metro app tile to start the selected app. I still can't get usded to the Metro app looks. I'm sure someone will figure out some hacks to do some of the things we were getting accustomed to with DP.

I'll keep playing with it and try to learn some of the work arounds and see what happens.

Talk later. Have a great evening.

Cheers, Ted

You mean that we cannot disable the Metro theme on Windows 8 Consumer Preview like we can on developers preview?

OH NO.

That is very bad news for me. As I must have a start menu.

I have now bought a plug in USB DVD drive since I last posted on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums. So now I can create and burn ISO files in Windows 7 and Windows 8's Windows Explorer. Which both have a built in disk burning function.

So as well as being able to reinstall Windows 7 from my new Windows 7 Home premium full installation CD which I have just bought. I can also install other operating systems like Linux Mint. By downloading the ISO file from the Internet and burning it onto a DVD in Windows Explorer.

I don't like Linux as much as Windows as it is not user friendly.And if you make a mistake in Linux by tweaking the wrong settings,you have to reinstall the whole system again. Where as in Windows you don't. As most problems can be sorted out without having to do a reinstall.

But the ironic thing about some versions of Linux is that they have a start menu. But now I am reading posts on the web that says Windows 8 CP does not.

Well, if that is the case. Then, if I cannot get a start menu in Windows 8 CP.I will go back to Windows 7 and stay there for good. I cannot live without a start menu. Andrea Borman.

I found the native way to shutdown very cumbersome and leaving a lot to ones imagination. It takes several keystrokes to just get to the shutoff icon.
My own shutdown routine, as an icon on the desktop, from XP, does work and the whole computer is down and dark in less than 8 sec's.

Hey Wayne, Try this for the Shutdown and Restart shortcuts. I have them on my desktop icons and Metro tiles

Shutdown: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Restart: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

Windows 8 CP, after using it a day, really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. One thing that I like, and suspected before I installed the OS, is that it uses less resources. My CPU isn't pegged to the max most of the time now. RAM usage is also lower. Even with a full internet security suite installed. CPU usage averages 45%, RAM 65%. Windows 7 Pro x64 kept both pegged.

And most of my favorite programs from Windows 7 & XP are installed on here. The one that wouldn't install yet, is my paid defrag software, Perfect Disk 12.5. But I'm sure that it'll be ready for 8 soon.

After reading this article, where I'm a member of their forum, I began to calm down. I was hunting everywhere to disable the Metro stuff, and have a regular Start Menu. I'm going to check out Ted's link on that. But here's the article. Read it through before judging the quality of it. There were some clear explanations as to what to do.

AnandTech - Windows 8 Consumer Preview: The Four Corners

Look, it's 2012, it's time for a new look. Microsoft is working their balls off to compete with Apple & other competition, the times are changing, and so must we. I mean that in a good way. And if there are those who doesn't want Windows 8, fine. Windows 7 will be supported through sometime in January 2020. You're in good company.

Cat

You mean that we cannot disable the Metro theme on Windows 8 Consumer Preview like we can on developers preview?

OH NO.

That is very bad news for me. As I must have a start menu.

I have now bought a plug in USB DVD drive since I last posted on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums. So now I can create and burn ISO files in Windows 7 and Windows 8's Windows Explorer. Which both have a built in disk burning function.

So as well as being able to reinstall Windows 7 from my new Windows 7 Home premium full installation CD which I have just bought. I can also install other operating systems like Linux Mint. By downloading the ISO file from the Internet and burning it onto a DVD in Windows Explorer.

I don't like Linux as much as Windows as it is not user friendly.And if you make a mistake in Linux by tweaking the wrong settings,you have to reinstall the whole system again. Where as in Windows you don't. As most problems can be sorted out without having to do a reinstall.

But the ironic thing about some versions of Linux is that they have a start menu. But now I am reading posts on the web that says Windows 8 CP does not.

Well, if that is the case. Then, if I cannot get a start menu in Windows 8 CP.I will go back to Windows 7 and stay there for good. I cannot live without a start menu. Andrea Borman.
Andrea, I'm sure that before this version of Windows 8 CP goes to RTM, there will either be a "old fashioned" Start Menu, or a hack will be posted for one.

And if not, Windows 7 will be there for you, until at least January 2020.

BTW, I'm a Linux user too. Mint is good. But if you want a more Windows like Linux OS, try Zorin OS. You have the choice of the Windows 7 or XP look. Before Windows 8 DP was released, I was using it for 2 days. I found it in a thread on the Windows 7 forum.

Zorin OS - Home

You should find this more usable than Linux Mint.

Cat

Andrea, I'm sure that before this version of Windows 8 CP goes to RTM, there will either be a "old fashioned" Start Menu, or a hack will be posted for one.

And if not, Windows 7 will be there for you, until at least January 2020.

BTW, I'm a Linux user too. Mint is good. But if you want a more Windows like Linux OS, try Zorin OS. You have the choice of the Windows 7 or XP look. Before Windows 8 DP was released, I was using it for 2 days. I found it in a thread on the Windows 7 forum.

Zorin OS - Home

You should find this more usable than Linux Mint.

Cat

Check this out in place of Start Orb

Well last night I installed Windows 8 Consumer preview on the same netbook I installed DP. But unfortunately and to my shock and horror it was nothing like the Developers Preview. There was no start orb but I know that there would not be because I read about that.

But in Windows 8 CP there is NO OPTION to disable the Metro theme at all. I tried every tick in the book. There was no registry key REP enabled like in Windows 8 DP so I created the key and set it to 0. but still nothing it did not work. It did not disable the Metro. I tried Metro Controller, but that did nothing either.

So then I installed Classic Shell, but that did not work. In Windows 8 developers preview if you want to keep the Metro theme but still want a start menu.You can install Classic Shell which will give you a Windows XP,or Windows Vista or 7 start menu and even the Classic Start menu while in Metro. And you can toggle between both the Metro start menu and Windows XP start menu.

And I was quite happy with that. But on Windows 8 Consumer preview you cannot do this because Classic Shell does not work at all. And all of the software and registry edits to disable Metro no longer work in CP.

I was able to pin many of my software shortcuts to the desktop and also some Control panel items. But there were many other programs that I could not pin to my desktop. The reason was this-the ribbon in Windows Explorer froze my mouse. And I could not right click with my mouse to click send to desktop.

In Windows 8 DP this was not a problem at all and I could do this with the Metro theme disabled or enabled,but not in Consumer Preview,no. Also in Windows 8 Developers Preview I could use it with or without the Metro theme and have a Windows start menu in addition to that with Classic Shell. And also the ribbon tool bar did not freeze my mouse in DP preview, so I could easily right click to pin shortcuts to my desktop or wherever I wanted. But in CP this was not the case as the ribbon froze my mouse completely.

Also despite using the Metro theme in Developers Preview I found Windows 8 worked reasonably well with only a few crashes. And I could still navigate the settings, even when I turned Classic Shell off and just had the metro start menu. But this was not the case in Consumer Preview.They have made the whole system harder if not impossible to use and it is completely different from Developers Preview. In Consumer Preview the whole system would freeze and crash a lot. And although all of my software I tried from Windows XP and Windows 7 worked. I had to launch it from the Programs folder in Windows Explorer because I could not pin all of the shortcuts to my desktop. Because of the problem with the ribbon toolbar. I also had to access many control panel items in Windows Explorer for the same reason.

But this was not the only problem I had,I could not even use my mouse to edit the registry as it froze on me.Also I could not shut down or restart my computer as I had great difficulty finding the power button. So I had to resort to pulling out my batteries to shut it down. Also even logging into Windows was difficult,I don't have a password. But when you click the log on screen it slides up and down. And you have to slide the picture out of the way to get your username picture to click on to log in.

Windows 8 Developers preview was a fine operating system.you could use it with or without the Metro theme. And if you turned off the Metro theme you had the Windows 7 start menu.and it also was a lot faster. But if you chose to use the Metro theme you could still navigate all of the settings and it worked reasonably well.And you could still do everything. And of course you could have the Windows XP start menu with the Metro theme with Classic Shell. This worked even in the Metro theme and the ribbob in explorer was no problem.
Windows 8 DP was another version of Windows 7 but it worked well and was a quite a good operating system. And it worked.

But Windows 8 Consumer preview is a different story. No matter how hard I had nothing but problems. And yes I did install Linux on one of my many netbooks.That used to have Windows 7 on it. And yes,I am running Linux Mint 11 on that netbook as my only operating system. But I also have got several other Windows netbooks. I also was given 2 other netbooks a weeks ago as presents from a friend. And they were both Windows 7 and I installed the Linux Mint 11 on one and Zoren OS on the other.And they are both the only operating systems on those two netbooks.

And it is important to note that one you do this you Cannot reinstall Windows again after you wipe it off and install Linux. as the Linux install changes the drive. But you can install any different version of Linux you want. So you can change your Linux OS for another Linux OS any time you want. But you cannot install windows again. It said something about it must be an NFTS drive and the install of Linux changes that.

But even though I have got Linux on 2 of my 7 netbooks that I have.Yes,I have had my problems with Linux and it is not as user friendly as Windows. And I have messed up several times by tweaking the settings and have had to do several reinstalls. But Linux at least does have a start menu.

Even Ubuntu,which at first glance does not,has a start menu at the top of the screen. On Ubuntu for example the taskbar is at the top of the screen and you just clock the corner and all your settings and items are listed. And on some other versions of Linux you right click with your mouse and a start menu that looks a bit like the Windows 98 start menu comes up.

But on Windows 8 Consumer Preview you have got nothing. The no start orb in the corner was not in itself a problem. As when you slid your mouse on the slip where the start orb used to be the Metro start screen came up as in DP. but other times it did not. but you could stil not get to all of the settings easily like you could in Developers preview. And there was not even a search bar in the start menu like there is in windows Vista and Windows 7,no.

A few weeks ago i posted on another forum on a thread about running Windows 8 as your only operating system. and when I commented on how much better it is to disable the Metro theme. I was told by several members that you would not be able to do that on Windows 8 CP and that the whole thing has been removed from the registry and code. And that Classic Shell has been kicked from code.

I did not take much notice of this. As I thought that the members were winding me up. By telling me I could not have a start menu on Windows 8 CP. Until last night when I tried Windows 8 CP for myself and found out that it was true.

On Windows 8 CP you cannot get the Windows 7 start menu back or even use third party software to get any kind of start menu in Windows 8 CP,no you can't.

There is NO WAY buy or use Windows 8 if this is how they are going to make it. Windows 8 Developers Preview was fine and a really good OS and I would have been happy to keep and use it. It was a very flexible and you could use it and run it the way you wanted.It was just like Windows 7 and you had a start menu both with or without the Metro theme.

But Windows 8 consumer preview is NOT the same as the developers preview. It gave me a lot of headache. What Microsoft has done by taking away OUR RIGHT to a start menu is an outrage. And a violation of our civil liberties.

How can we use an OS like this. If you don't believe me,take a look at Windows 8 Consumer Preview for yourself. And you will uninstall it like I did. And go back to Windows 7. I have now uninstalled Windows 8 CP and reinstalled Windows 7 on my netbook. As Windows 8 CP is unusable. Andrea Borman.

The Metro UI is a step in the future, as it is very suited for touch screens, be it on a tablet or a pc. It does need a bit more tinkering with and more settings menus, to be able to get it better customized but it does look nice and usable. In it's current stage it's not yet ready to replace the classic desktop, but with a proper setting panel added, or a more thorough control panel for the metro ui, it would work out fine. In it's current stage though it's perfect for a tablet. And the desktop is still usable btw, as it is an integral part of the os still. As for linux, I disagree. It's way too easy to correct an issue in Linux and there is no need to re-install the os. Just need to know some commands to use in a text-mode. Linux doesn't get bugged down in time with usage, and also the file system is much better conceived with journalizing and easy recovery. If it had more support from developers, in terms of drivers, and games it would be as good if not better than windows. As a hint, if you tinker with the settings in linux, and you get an error or something, delete the .config files in the home directory and reboot. The system will recreate the standard .config files and revert all settings to default.

Back
Top Bottom