Windows 7 Continuously disconnecting-connecting USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE (MP3 player).

gabiibag

Hi everyone. I have a big problem with a MP3 Player which I use it as a storage device. It has only 512 MB and I decided to use it as a stick. A long time ago i had encountered the problem shown in the "TITLE". So when i connect the device in ANY usb port it connects and disconnects every 3 seconds continously. Don't forget that this is only a MP3 player and on the box it is mentioned that is driverless. Until this problem the device was working well and i could use it as a little stick. I tried to uninstall the driver in Device Manager and to desable it but every time the same thing. The most important thing is now.....I connected it on a laptop and it works and i saw that the laptop has the same driver...I mean when i connect it it installs a driver. Also i can connect to my PC (where this problem occurs to my MP3 player) other usb devices such as hard disks printers webcams and everything works fine. So this means that the problem is not to the USB or the PM3 Player or driver...(If i am wrong please tell me...!)...so from were can this problem came from! Thankyou anticipated!

When you have it connected to the desktop and you remove it, do you use the "safely remove" icon in the notification area. If not it can sometimes render a device useless or not work correctly, it's been know to happen.

Yes I did...but you didn't answer mine. It says in your post that you removed it and plugged into a laptop. How do you remove the device from the computer? Just by unplugging it from the usb port? Or do you use the "safe to remove" icon in the notification area. It makes a difference.

Do you have all the MS updates? Have you been to your PC's website to see if there are any hardware, firmware or software updates? Are there in issues in the device manager...yellow triangles that need to be addressed?

Last edited:
yes from the laptop i use "safe to remove" i have all the Microsoft updates and i think i have all the Pc drivers up to date i think. I do not know the PC's website because i have one mounted by pieces...and also it is very old and the company from were i bought it now 7 years doesn't exist anymore ( i mean the local company which assembled the pieces and sold the computer) . But this is not important....the most important thing is that i installed all the Microsoft updates, in Device manager i do not see any yellow triangle and i use driver softwares to update the drivers. Does anyone know what can be done? P.S.: I have those problems with the stick on a desktop and there aren't problems with the stick on the laptop. (To understand better because i think i am not so explicit :( )

Last edited:
OK...now we're getting some where...thanks for the info. Since it works on the laptop and not on the desktop is a pretty good indicator that's it not the mp3 player, like you thought and it's most likely to be a hardware issue on the desktop...a driver I suspect. Now the hard part...you'll have to find out what make and model of each component in the desktop and then go to each of those website and look for driver/firmware updates. To get some of this information you can open the case and check each component for name and model number. There is software out there that can get the basic info of each peace. CPU-Z is a good one and free, BeLarc also free and HwiNO64 also free.

for example sometimes when i connect the mp3 player to my desktop and wait 5 min while it is connecting and disconnecting... after i wait ....sometimes...i'll see that windows tries to install a new driver and after it installs it the device will work fine....after i'll disconnect it and reconnect...the same phenomenon disconnecting and connecting.....but do not forget that sometimes if i wait it will work....but it is very very very rare and unsafe to try to use it (to store data on it)...
Does someone know what can be done?

Last edited:
It's a driver issue, either with your mobo and hardware components or a driver issue with the mp3 player. Go to the mp3 players website and download the latest driver for it.

my mp3 player is Magnex DMF 1000 512 MB... i get it as a gift from a foreign country (Italy) and on it's website at download section you can download only utility tools... and on the cd it is mentioned ...driverless.

Last edited:
Since it's a driver-less device, then it's a compatibility issue with windows 7. Meaning it's not compatible or doesn't work with windows 7. I can't confirm this because everything I find is in Italian and untranslated. Look for compatibility on the site you found and see what it says.

however it is written on it's box that it's compatible with windows xp or above... but i also mentioned that it worked on windows 7.
On my desktop (Where it doesn't work... or it works...very very very rare)...i have Windows 7 x64 SP1.
On my laptop (Where it works every time)... I have Windows 7 x86 SP1.
I cannot remember if this phenomenon appeared when i installed on both SP1.

Can the SP1 be the problem...?

That might be the issue right there...different bit functionality. Some devices are bit specific...meaning only will work with 7 32 bit and not 7 64 bit. Again read carefully what the box says about recommendations with OS. Sometimes the information is misleading or confusing or just plain poorly written on the packageing. I've run into same thing for usb bluetooth device...lesson learned the hard way.

That bit version means a lot. When Windows 7 was initially released, there were plenty of threads concerning this. Many users were simply bashing 64 bit because a 10 year old printer (usually Canon) would work with Win 7 32 bit, but not 64 bit. Some hardware companies do release both 32 & 64 bit drivers for their devices, but most these devices were made in recent years.

Simply speaking, many hardware companies don't provide driver support after a few years. And many devices that were made for XP usage has no 64 bit drivers available. The device may say "XP & up", but it depends on when it was made.

Cat

yes...but i said that it worked on Windows 7 x64 ... but know it doesn't work on Windows 7 x64 SP1... if this represents the problem...

Back