Windows 7 Control Panel assistance needed

keeto

Honorable Member
To say hello. My first time here.
I used and do use the CP a fair bit and need it to be at the top of the Destop[screen] in it's 'glory'
that is, 'auto-hidden, no text and always on top'.
I am not able to place or keep the CP to have it at the top of the DT.
I could do thus in XP but not in 7, so far.
Is there a manner or means of getting this acheived?
tia,
keeto

Hello and Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums,

If I've got this correctly, navigate to the C:\windows\system32 folder, locate control.exe, drag it to the Desktop and choose Create Shortcut Here.

Actually, that's a very good idea:)

Hello and Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums,

If I've got this correctly, navigate to the C:\windows\system32 folder, locate control.exe, drag it to the Desktop and choose Create Shortcut Here.

Actually, that's a very good idea:)

If you rightclick destop and click personalise, you can turn CP on or off in change desktop icons.

Im not sure thats what keeto is asking though. Are you after some sort of toolbar at the top of your screen? What do you mean by auto-hidden and always on top?

Last edited:
Hi reghakr, and thanks...yeah, I really like this 'ability'.
I used to drag the CP icon up ''passed the beyonds of the screen'' into the top of the DT in XP and the CP 'list' would appear as/like the taskbar at the base. Rt clk CP and I'ld chose options I wanted.
I did have a go at ur structs, but can't make it happen.

So I made one up from scratch. Go into CP and change the view so you can see all the icons. Drag all the options you want in your toolbar to the desktop (this will make shortcuts). Make a new folder somewhere, maybe in your my docs folder, name it control panel and put all your shortcuts in there. Next rightclick the taskbar and highlight toolbars and choose new toolbar. Direct it to the control panel folder with all the shortcuts, and it should make the control panel toolbar next to the system tray.

Hope this is what you are after.

So are you saying you didn't get it to work correctly?

Nice call again loathe,

Gave it a try, works pefectly:)

I guess you could make almost anything into it's own toolbar.

Endless possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
didn't happen, no. Look, just go to an xp install and try it out.
drag the CP icon[ I use the one from My Comput [created that in the taskbar] up into the top of screen. you'll see what I mean. Rt clk below the word 'Control P' and make your choices.

didn't happen, no. Look, just go to an xp install and try it out.
drag the CP icon[ I use the one from My Comput [created that in the taskbar] up into the top of screen. you'll see what I mean. Rt clk below the word 'Control P' and make your choices.

I know exactly what you are talking about and your right it doesnt work on 7. My previous post does something similar if you wanted to try, but other than that..

There was one version [that I remeber] of Vista[the 'early' ones] which allowed one to do the same thing as in XP, but presently, ya can't do it.

keeto,

Could you please give us the named you are referring to

DT=Desktop, is that correct?
CP=Control Panel

I just tried what you stated on an XP machine. I dragged the Control panel entry from Windows Explorer and dragged that to the toolbar. when I right-clicked, it gave me the same options as what i had given you earlier. It simply opened Control panel.

There was no listing to choose from.

Also Windows 7 does not have the Quick launch bar that XP used to have you can add it using Loathe's method, but here you would choose C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick launch

I did something similar ok. Which was brought to your attention by another chap. He had 2 CP icons appear in his taskbar...couldn't get rid of the extra one.
Depending on which one you choose, ya can delete it, but it's there again when system is rebooted.

Is there any way that this can be picked up by MS?
It's useful.
Thanks

I don't recall seeing this on our forum, do you have a link you could provide ?

Since this is the RC and the Send feedback feature is no longer available, I don't think MS would even take it into account.

If it is a bug, I'm sure they'll have it corrected by final release.

keeto,

The CP icon I use comes from My Computer[ from rt clk taskbar > Toolbar > My Computer [then Control Panel icon]. Drag it to the top of the screen and let go. The full list of CP will appear at the top of the screen. Then use the rt clk under ''Control Panel'' for the menu.

This is using XP, yeah?

Last edited:
Now I see exactly what you mean.

i just did it on my XP machine.

loathe,s method will give you want you want in Windows 7

Do you need any more help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall seeing this on our forum, do you have a link you could provide ?

If it is a bug, I'm sure they'll have it corrected by final release.

It looks like the same as in Vista. There was one install of Vista which did have this ability, but it was forgotten or left out in following and final versions...don't think it's a bug.

Thanks to both of you. Loathe's worked, sort of...

I set the taskbar at the top. A bit confusing and sea-sickening! but its ok for now.

Writing or contacting MS about this, would it do any good, or would I be wasting the proverbial?

Last edited:
Back