Windows 7 Control Panel Text Links Cause Explorer to Lock/Crash

acdamiter

I upgraded from Vista 64 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64, and I'm having some major issues. My control panel is completely borked. If, for instance, I load up control panel and on to uninstall a program, control panel will freeze and become unresponsive. Sometimes this results in explorer crashing. A I got one of the text links to work correctly once, but it look a solid 5 minutes to load after being clicked on. If I switch to the icon view, everything works fine. This is still a problem because there are certain things I cannot access through icon view, like firewall settings.

This problem persists outside of control panel as well. If I click on the action center icon in the bottom right and click Open Action Center, nothing happens and that small window will refuse to close until explorer crashes, some 10-15 or more minutes later.

I have other problems as wel, but they might be better left to other forums. Just to put them out there, when I first started up my system I was unable to use the 32 bit versions of IE or Firefox. This was never a problem on Vista. When I managed to uninstall Firefox, I found I was unable to install a new version. I downloaded the 3.5.3 64 bit installer, but it wouldn't run properly. Winrar didn't work properly either, but I was able to uninstall and reinstall that successfully. I've pasted a bunch of info below. If you need anything else, let me know.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP45-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 1700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 6/19/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.42 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.95 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Upgrade doesn't work for many people. You'll eventually have to back up your data and do a clean install. I upgraded from Vista and had 32 drivers out of date and over 1,000 duplicated files... what a mess.

Back