Windows 7 Control Panel Uninstall not uninstalling Cyberlink/PowerDVD

kimberfo

I'm running Windows 7 (64bit) and made the mistake of installing an old version of Cyberlink PowerDVD, only to discover it's incompatible with Windows 7. So I have been trying to uninstall it to no avail. I've read some other posts online and they are very technical for me to follow. Anybody have a solution they can put forth in layman's terms. I'm not afraid of going in the Registry; I just need to know exactly what to do to fully uninstall this program! Then ... I promise I'll use Windows Media Center to play my DVDs!!! :)Thank you!! Kimberlee

Ok, I tried that (thank you) and got the same results: a pop-up message says "The installation will be terminated at this time. This software is only intended for Windows 2000, XP or above versions only."

I wonder if I should just reinstall the old version again and try uninstalling again (I have deleted all program files from the Program Folder under C Drive)???

THANK YOU for your HELP!!
Kimberlee

Hi

If you have a restore point before you installed it, try going back to that.

Try running Revo Uninstaller, though the fact that you deleted it may stop that from working.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

You may have to do as you said and reinstall it before you can uninstall it.

After that...

Try running CCleaner and clean any left over registry entries, and then look in Start Up, in CCleaner and turn off anything that has to do with loading the program.

Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!

Mike

Hi again.

I found this solution that sounds like it would work, pretty clever really.

I had the same problems as above regarding unsupported windows etc. I was about to try the big answer on this page as it looked like a great solution as a last resort and thought to myself... HEY... why not REinstall it since it will prob remove the "older" copy.

All I had to do was REinstall the PowerDvd 6 ... it came up with a message saying... "If you continue the old version will be UNinstalled and the new version installed" (even though it's the same software).. I thought it would fail on removal but it worked perfect... when it said NEXT to install the current version again I just clicked cancel. POOF - all gone! I checked the directory and it was really gone!

WHEW! nice and easy!

Hope this helps someone else.

Hey Mike,

Ok, it took me a while to get to this (after another failed DVD Play request) ... just wanted to let you know the outcome. IT WORKED!! That free uninstaller was the ticket! But first, I did reinstall the program, then I followed your instructions. I had to run Revo a couple times, but it worked. I must admit, I was a bit uneasy to OK a DELETE of all those Reg Files, but I did. So far, I haven't found any problem suggesting the wrong reg files were removed. (Whew)

I've searched (via Startup) for anything with "PowerDVD" or "Cyberlink" and nothing. (THERE IS A GOD!) I set all my defaults to Windows Media Center (and that's another story!) and tested a DVD. YEAH, it opened in WMC!

Now, as for CCleaner ... do you think it's really necessary? It costs $25 and I'm unemployed at the moment so need to save wherever I can. Is there a freeware option that works? How would I know if I REALLY do need CCleaner?

Thank you so much for your help with this! If you were local, I'd buy you a beer for sure! :)

Kimberlee

Look further down below the Buy online and DOWNLOAD button and you'll see:

Version 3.06.1433 (2,991 kb)
- Download from FileHippo.com
- Download from Piriform.com

HTH.

Last edited:
Oh, thank you!! That worked.

Not to get off topic, but what is the diff between Windows Defrag and Defraggler AND Windows Disk Cleanup and CCleaner?

Thanks so much for all your help!
kimberlee

Ok, I tried that (thank you) and got the same results: a pop-up message says
The installation will be terminated at this time. This software is only intended for Windows 2000, XP or above versions only
This might have been a good chance to try running the uninstaller in compatibility mode.

Hi

Sorry the link to the free version of CCleaner is lower on the page.

Download CCleaner 3.06.1433 - FileHippo.com

You can get Defraggler from the same site.

CCleaner is a app that removes junk left over when stuff is closed, temp files etc and removes cookies and stuff like that.
There can be a lot of them.

It also checks the registry for bad entries.

Under options you can tell it which cookies you want to keep and it will then remove all the others.

Defraggler does basically the same thing as Windows Defrag, but once you do the initial defrag which can take quite a while you can ask it to only process fragmented files.
You can do this every day and it only takes a few minutes.

Mike

Back