Windows 8 Control Panel?

OldTimer

Banned
Many of us, who like to futz around with our PC's, not just appliance operators, like to get into our Control Panels every once in a while.
But Win-8 doesn't make that as easy as it was in XP.

However there is a way to get to the control panel in Win-8.
Here's one way:

From the Metro screen, , , even without any box to type it in, just type "RUN" and press enter. You will be taken back to the desktop and a RUN box will be opened for you.
In the run box type, "Control Panel" and press enter. You will be taken to the control panel.

Now say, you want to make a System Restore Point:
In the control panel click on System and Security.
Then click on "System" and in the left panel click on "System Protection" and in the resulting window, click on the "Create" button in the bottom of the window. You then can name your Restore Point and finish its creation.

To do a system restore, first click on "System Protection" as above, then click on System Restore. The program will then take you to select a restore point.

It's not as quick or easy as it was in XP, but it's totally Do'able.

In that RUN box, you can also run MSCONFIG, Regedit, CMD and Services.msc and other programs just like you could in earlier version of Windows.

A little more complicated to get there, but still completely Do'able.

Cheers mates!
The Doctor :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now we have the control panel all nailed down..... so how about system restore at your fingertips?

Here's how to have it on your Desktop, for a quick System Restore when something you've just done, or installed, has mucked up your OS.

First use the Windows Key+ E to bring up Windows Explorer.
Click on the C: drive to open it.
Click on "Windows", then scroll down and click on the "System32" folder.
Then scroll down in the System32 folder to "rstrui.exe" and right click on it.
Then select "Send to Desktop as a shortcut" and click it.

If you did everything correctly, you should now have a shortcut to System Restore on your desktop.
You may want to rename the shortcut to "System Restore". Job done.
You now have a quick and easy way to back up from a mistake or a bad program install.

I'm pretty sure I'll be using this a lot in the days to come. Oooops!

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

OR, could keep it really simple & direct, Folks... Just, Rt Clk @ the bottom-left corner to get the (Win+X) Menu & lo & behold, Control Panel is right there, on that menu!! Easy & handy, as can be :joyous:

And, going through overly involved, extra steps to get things is a drag for anyone. For example...want msconfig?... just hit Win Key and begin typing what you want, like m-s-c-o-n & up it will be on the screen for you. W/ Windows8 there is no need to dig, poke or scamper around, much.

Print this as reference material to help make using Windows8 fun & easy ...will save y'all lots of inconvenience & time, typing, moussing & clicking. May as well have your User Experience be as smooth & pleasant as possible :joyous:
http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-tutorials-training/5293-w8-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Cheers,
Drew

I knew, there would have to be another way. I just had to open the door.
Thanks Drew!

Doc :cool:

I have the Control Panel pinned to the Taskbar, this helps a lot for quick access. The same way that I have it setup on Windows 7.

Cat

You can also, of course, have it on the desktop in the usual (win7) way. Right click personalise, and select it as an desktop icon. Drews method, though, should be investigated by all who have not yet discovered it - host of options there!

You can also, of course, have it on the desktop in the usual (win7) way. Right click personalise, and select it as an desktop icon. Drews method, though, should be investigated by all who have not yet discovered it - host of options there!
I also accessed it this way, I just wanted it pinned to the taskbar. I don't want it on my desktop, the only icon there is the recycle bin.

Only my CPU/RAM gadget, local weather, and my Avast protection status box are on my desktop.

Cat

Alternatively, I have NO icons showing on the Desktop... instead I employ the Desktop Toolbar.

Rt Clk Taskbar > Toolbars & enable Desktop Toolbar.

Sorry, Cat, have a hard time seeing the need to Pin CP to Taskbar when it can be accessed, so easily, via the Power Users menu. But, certainly, no harm in Pinning it there, though..

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom