Windows 10 conversion

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Can one convert an existing OS from .ESD to .WIM or is it just the installation media you convert such as a flash drive?

You can export the WIM file from the ESD file with DISM.
  • Copy the ESD file somewhere (for example C:\ESD\install.esd
  • Display the available install.wim images with the following command
    • DISM /Get-WIMInfo /WimFile:C:\ESD\install.esd
    • Make note of the Index for the install.wim file you need
  • Run the following command to extract the install.wim file (for example Windows 10 Pro)
    • DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\ESD\install.esd /SourceIndex:8 /DestinationImageFile:C:\ESD\install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity
Then you should have the install.wim file available add it into your boot usb.

Yes thank you I can convert to a flash drive. You answered my question in that I cannot convert a existing OS, only the instillation media.
I will use your directions to create the installation media but not install as .WIM until necessary.

Well actually you can capture the running os along with everything installed, but the system won't be usable after.

I did not think it would be; thank you. I am currently studying the information in post #2.
I have a stick with Esd from the MCT. Is there a way I can make a new stick to create .wim?
I use the web but have not found a way I can understand. Some are in another language while others cost. Others are very complex, for me..

I found power ISO and it seems a good way to convert .esd to .wim.
I do no know how to open the MCT without starting the installation process within the flash drive I download to..
Second, after conversion do I need to use Rufus to make the file bootable?
This is all done within the flash drive, correct?
My goal is to make a .wim bootable flash drive.

I don't have much luck converting from .ESD to .WIM because of my average level. Instructions I get are accurate but my level requires a bit more pablum feeding step by step which I do not expect..
Anyway, I can use DISM with the MCT via .ESD to repair corrupted files as in the last cumulative update. I notice you used what I believe is a Samsung Galaxy - how do you like it?

Back
Top Bottom