copy windows profile

In windows XP, I would configure a profile and copy it to the default profile. But in Windows 7 it is not allowing me to do it. Is there something I need to disable to copy a the profile.

Sniffles :eek:

That's a good question. But really all you want to grab is Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, start menu maybe.

A lot of the other stuff in the profile (even under XP), is profile specific and may bugger any new profiles created, possibly worse in Win7 as it is a different beast. What can/could be done in XP, may or may not be possible anymore in Vista/7.

They are not the same OS, tons of changes.

But, in 7 it is now Default and not Default User

reghakr

Essential Member
Do you receive an error message when trying to copy the contents of the Default profile?

Such as Are you sure you want to move the System File?

Let me go through the steps. Create a new account called Test - Log into that new account, so the profile gets created - Reboot - Log into the old account - Rt Click on My Computer - Select Property- Select Advanced System Settings - Click on Settings under User Profile- Now Select the test profile. As you can see the Copy to is grayed out. This is important to businesses, what I do is I configure how a profile should look with all the reg hacks and what icons need to be on the desktop or now on the taskbar with windows 7. Once that is done, I log out of that account and log into a new account and do a copy to the default profile, so went my users log into the windows it will create a new profile with all my tweaks. That's why this functionality is important.

Sniffles

Copy Profile in Windows 7 over thought

I have been using this program since Windows 98 and it works for this problem as well. Just download it and run it. You will have your problem soled in under a minute. It's called Windows Enabler. Google it. Hope this helps!

reghakr

Essential Member
Windows Enabler doesn't work for me in Windows 7.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Let me go through the steps. Create a new account called Test - Log into that new account, so the profile gets created - Reboot - Log into the old account - Rt Click on My Computer - Select Property- Select Advanced System Settings - Click on Settings under User Profile- Now Select the test profile. As you can see the Copy to is grayed out. This is important to businesses, what I do is I configure how a profile should look with all the reg hacks and what icons need to be on the desktop or now on the taskbar with windows 7. Once that is done, I log out of that account and log into a new account and do a copy to the default profile, so went my users log into the windows it will create a new profile with all my tweaks. That's why this functionality is important.

Sniffles
When you open the Advanced Settings, do you get a User Account access message? My copy to is not greyed out, but I do not have a second user. Have you tried doing it from the account you want to transfer the profile for?

reghakr

Essential Member
Excellent idea Saltgrass!!

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.