Windows 10 Corrupted Files

JulianGeorge

Hello!
I just wander id there is some software to find corrupted files existing in a disk (any disk-not system)- I want to get rid of them. Searching one by one is a pain :(
Thank you

You can use the built-in tool in Windows 10 called Error checking. Just right click on the drive's name, choose Properties from the pop-up menu, go to the Tools tab and press the Check button. The Error checking tool will scan your drive for errors and, in case errors are found, it will try to repair them. You do not have to look for any other external tool to find errors. Unrecoverable files will be marked, renamed and copied to the root directory (usually C:\).

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

NTFS is self correcting. Although if it's corrupted in memory or the disk is having problems that's another problem all together. If a disk is having problems running chkdsk is usually enough to move the data and mark sectors as unusable

Thank you all for your answers..... I'll be more specific: All the data on a hard disk was wiped out by mistake. The data was retrieved by a specialized software. The operation was successful BUT! many files (word files mostly) are unusable. THESE files I want to get rid of. One way is checking them one by one....pain! Will "scandisk" find them and delete them, or will it put them all in a specific folder which can be deleted after the operation?
Thank you again!
Julian George

Thanks for the clarification. That's due to the way the recovery software works and how file deletion works on Windows. The software most likely picked up remnants of old files that contained enough meta data to recreate some part of the file. There is no good way to identify these save for going through them all.

Thanks for the clarification. That's due to the way the recovery software works and how file deletion works on Windows. The software most likely picked up remnants of old files that contained enough meta data to recreate some part of the file. There is no good way to identify these save for going through them all.
I thank you for your answer!

Back
Top Bottom