Windows 10 Cortana Died

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I don't know what happened, but Cortana no longer responds. Neither does clicking on the search box. I haven't made any tweaks to the computer, so it just happened on its own. I think she's been down several days now. What gives?

Try re-installing Cortana
Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode

How do I do that? I don't believe she's a program that can be manipulated. Is that correct? I can't read the lower part of your post. The wording is a hard-to- read yellowish color. Disregard..I highlighted the text and now can read it.

You need to run the command from powershell. Click the start button and type powershell

I just found this on a we search:

Enabling Cortana is just as easy as switching her off. Head over to the Cortana home, go to Notebook, and visit Settings. Turn Cortana from Off to On. That’s it! Remember, Cortana will still have all the information she knew about you before being turned off, so you won’t need to do much reprogramming.

Where do I find notebook?

Read more: How to turn Cortana off – and on again – in Windows 10
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

Well, got her working this morning. All I did was system restore back to Dec. 12th. The only thing I did on that date was install an icloud program. Needless to say, I won't be reinstalling it! Thanks for the assistance in this matter.

toshiba? i also have toshiba … one of their satellite-p55 models. while i revere the laptop, it does have its inherent limitations. however … it is reliable and has encountered very few problems with microsoft's ubiquitous updates.

google:
google can be your ally/ friend … same questions you pose in this forum can, just as feasibly, be manifested by using google's filters. [such as typing "cortana's notebook" into google's interface and pressing enter on keyboard.]

cortana:
yes … cortana can be turned off and on … and 'she' also is turned off when you shut your computer down. turning her back on is simple as placing your cursor in windows "search" and typing "cortana" … or can also have button placed on the taskbar to engage her that way. cortana can answer your questions in audible manner … she can play your favorite music for you … she can even sing for you (in her own 'synthesized' voice) … all you need do is speak into your microphone!
"cortana … sing me a lullabye."
"cortana … are you female?"
"cortana … how many sides to a square"
you might discover some additional tips for working with cortana:

placing cortana's icon on taskbar … right-click taskbar and choose cortana / show-cortana-icon. clicking her icon will bring her parent interface into view.

notebook:
for in-depth evaluation of cortana's notebook implementation 'n features:

power-shell:
as for windows power-shell … as powerful as the utility is … it can assist with advanced operations … it can also lead to seize/crash one's computer.

safety:
make sure to employ adequate sentries within your environment … whether by utilizing windows-defender or some other qualified anti-virus (free or paid). along with the anti-virus … you might consider installing malwarebytes-anti-malware. all the above sentries need to be updated constantly … so, update and scan religiously, as though your life depends upon it. get yourself an ad-blocker … these are utilized on web-browsers … they block ads that may contain malicious code.

never read emails from people you do not know. if a friend sends you an email with a link … confirm, with that friend (via telephone, not email), that he actually sent the link … only then click on the link.

and, if it helps … exercise a certain amount of caution/paranoia in your finger-tips … always question yourself … and whether something is too-good-to-be-true or just puffing-smoke. google is your guide … ask google if some website is safe … or if something sounds like a scam.

pls note … microsoft's windows-defender will disable itself if you already have a authenticated anti-virus (free or paid) program installed.

uipdates:
owning a computer is a responsibility … not only to yourself but to everyone you may effect. make sure you update your software often. inadvertently contaminating a friend or family's computer, by your negligence, happens more often than you may realize. i cannot say enough about the importance of one's safety. our own neemobeer shared a paramount link which might assist others:

windows-10
you might wish to learn a bit more about win-10 … try these links:

system-restore:
one last notation … you might wish to befriend windows system-restore feature. i'd suggest creating restore point on regular basis. just as routine, i'd stipulate that you remove the previous restore point if it's no longer of use … and creating new restore-point. in this way, you will not be hogging all hard-drive with useless restore points.

screenshots:
desktop_cortana.png cortana_01.png cortana_02.png

disclaimer:
the above remarks/notations are meant to help members of windows-forum … as well as starbuck netizens coming off the street or "eyebrow-surfing" for we old codgers.

ref:
www.google.com/
Adblock Plus - Surf the web without annoying ads!
malwarebytes.com:
www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/pc-security/windows-defender.aspx

edit:
changed "eula" to "disclaimer" … thanks.

Last edited:
I agree that Cortana can be dispensed with. But I find the search feature to be quite useful. When Cortana Died on my computer the search function had died with her. Now they're both fine.:wave:

Back