Windows 7 cpu help

smiler52

hi all not sure if this is the right place so sorry if its not what it is i got this pc about 3weeks ago its a alienware area 51 came with windows 7 home 32 bit but i have been looking at the cpu you specs online and its saying its a 64bit cpu the cpu is a Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor X6800 2.93ghz Intel® Core) i dont know if its its doing my pc any halm or not having the wrong bit os so if any one can help that would be good thanks

FTR, I don't think either AMD or Intel make 32-bit only CPUs for personal computers (PCs and notebooks) any more, and haven't for many years. Because 64-bit CPUs can run 32-bit programs, there has been no need (or financial incentive) for HW makers to make 2 versions.

im not sure but of its true age i think it was built around 2006 i got it on ebay as a refurb

Well, 64-bit hardware has been around for decades. AMD introduced the 64-bit Opteron in 2003 and Intel followed with their 64-bit CPU for PCs the next year. We would need the exact specs or model number of your Alien to give you more information. In any case, you are not causing any harm or damage. If something does not support 64-bit, it just will not run.

Alienware Area-51-7500 Core 2 Extreme X6800 4gb ram AlienIce Liquid Cooled
AlienWare System Lighting
1x 300GB IDE
1X 300GB SATA
RAID controller
DVD-RW
Windows 7 Home Premium
USB Ports - 6
VGA Out
5.1 Surround Sound
SPDIF
Radeon X1800 XT 512MB Graphics Card with 2x DVI-outputs On board Network Adapter - Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports

Hmmm, well, Windows 7 did not come out until Oct 2009 so someone else installed that and I think it sad whoever did, did not install the 64-bit version. By running 32-bit Windows, you are not fully utilizing that full 4Gb of RAM, and you cannot install anymore RAM either. :(

Back
Top Bottom