Windows 7 Crash Dump SOS

zaven

Hi,

I've recently installed Win 7 onto my Dell laptop. Runs smoothly and I like it so far but I've had a few Crash Dumps occur and I've been wanting to analyse them so I can locate the problem and fix it. Now I've updated all the drivers and there doesn't seem to be any errors in the device manager. So I'm thinking it is likely a software issue.

After doing quite a bit of research, I've dowloaded the microsoft debugger an read several threads on this. However I can't seem to get the results with the debugger, and I feel like I'm going in circles trying to look for help online.

Could someone with the knowledge of solving/analyzig crash dumps help me out. I'm fairly proficient with computers but this seems to be out of my league. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've recently installed Win 7 onto my Dell laptop. Runs smoothly and I like it so far but I've had a few Crash Dumps occur and I've been wanting to analyse them so I can locate the problem and fix it. Now I've updated all the drivers and there doesn't seem to be any errors in the device manager. So I'm thinking it is likely a software issue.

After doing quite a bit of research, I've dowloaded the microsoft debugger an read several threads on this. However I can't seem to get the results with the debugger, and I feel like I'm going in circles trying to look for help online.

Could someone with the knowledge of solving/analyzig crash dumps help me out. I'm fairly proficient with computers but this seems to be out of my league. Thanks in advance.
Not sure where you're at in the process, but most people seem to have problems with the getting the symbols path correct, so when you open the WinDbg the first thing you should do is go to the file menu and choose "Symbol File Path" copy and past this into the resultant window "SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols" without the quotes, then choose file, open crash dump and browse to the location of your .dmp file, if the process doesn't open in the debug application simply drag and drop it onto the debugger. Near the bottom of the resultant bugcheck you'll see a link "!analyze -y" click that to proceed with the bugcheck. You may see addition links in blue underlined text, that you can also click to get some more information like the path and timestamp info on the offending module. You might also want to use something like Blue Screen Viewer BlueScreenView - blue screen of death (STOP error) information. to supplement the Debugger. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. I followed the BlueScreen link and downloaded the RegistryBooster which appeared to correct all the errors it found. Should this be the end of my problems with those previous Crash Dumps?

Thanks for your help. I followed the BlueScreen link and downloaded the RegistryBooster which appeared to correct all the errors it found. Should this be the end of my problems with those previous Crash Dumps?
Not sure exactly, cause, the link I provided was to download BlueScreenView v1.20, at the bottom of that page you should have seen a link to download that program. It's a program I use from time to time to augment WinDbg and can help expose older drivers and their respective time stamps which can help you see if you might have some driver issues.
I see now at the top of that page there is also a link to RegistryBooster 2010 by Uniblue, while I am not familar with the product I believe that it's a pretty well respected program and I have heard other speak very highly of it. But to answer your question, I guess time will tell. If the blue screens persist and you need addtional help you can always zip them up an attach them to a post in this forum and I'm sure somebody will be glad to help you out.

Back