Windows 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Series

Neon401

Hello,

I just thought I'd post this for the people having problems installing the SB X-Fi drivers in Windows 7.

First of all, make sure you have the Vista driver for your sound card.
When you try to install the driver, you'll get an error message saying something along the lines of "your OS is not suppported". Don't panic though, just follow the simple steps below.

1. Right click the install file (.exe)
2. Click "Properties"
3. At the top of the windows, click the tab called "Compatibility"
4. Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
5. Select "Windows Vista" in the drop down menu.
6. Click OK, run the install again.

Good luck! :)

I had no problems installing the X-Fi drivers, my issue started with setting up my speakers, I'm able to only get 2.1 (two front and sub), would love to hear from someone with this same card who was able to get full 5.1 audio.

Actually once Win7 was installed, that was my only issue, the Creative X-Fi configuration.

By the way, using the compatibility mode, doesn't allow the setup file to run, I get an error if I set it to Vista or Xp Compatibility, but it runs fine without changing it, just can't get 5.1 surround

Last edited:
Works great with my X-Fi Fatal1ty and 7.1 Surround. (all 7 speakers work individually)
The install actually worked better in Windows 7 then it did in Vista

I'm using Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 Speaker system (cheap $85 version )

(1) Install latest Sound Blaster drivers; I used SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0008.
(2) go to Control Panel
(3) Click on Audio Control Panel
(4) Click the speakers tab, and choose the correct speaker Configuration 5.1 or 7.1, etc.....
(5) Click Close and return to Control Panel
(6) Click on Sound
(7) On the Playback tab, click on speakers; then click configure, and choose your audio channels 5.1, 7.1 etc...
(8) You can adjust the individual volume of each of your speakers, if you to to the Playback tab, click speakers, then click properties; in here there is a "levels" tab for each speaker.
(9) Click OK

Back