Windows 7 Critical Updates failing and reverting....

dkperez

I recently installed Windows 7, 64-bit on a system. Went on fine..... Works FINE.

Had the system check for updates, and it found 55 critical updates it wants to make. So, I let it. At the end it wanted to do a reboot, and I did so. On the boot it did whatever it does when it says it's installing the updates, churns for a while, then puts up a message than an update failed and the system is reverting...... Then it reboots and fails to boot.

I have to go into the startup repair and restore to a point before the updates were applied. Then it's fine again...... I"ve tried this three times now and it does the same thing every time I let it install the updates...

If it was 1 or 2 updates I could see trying them individually to see what's going on, but WHAT do I do when there are 55 of 'em? Run 'em 10 at a time? Ignore the whole bunch? Anybody have a way of figuring out WHICH update is causing the problem?

You've basically answered your own question!

I'd install in batches of no more than five. These would only be the critical updates. I'd ignore optional updates for now but especially I'd ignore any driver updates. It's best to get those from the manufacturers websites.

Well, at the moment it's a moot point...... The last time it composted, it apparently clobbered the boot manager. I eventually managed to get it repaired, but now when the system boots I can log in but just get a blank screen instead of a desktop.......

So, I"ll have to chase this down before I can even try to get the updates solved......

Well, at the moment it's a moot point...... The last time it composted, it apparently clobbered the boot manager. I eventually managed to get it repaired, but now when the system boots I can log in but just get a blank screen instead of a desktop.......

So, I"ll have to chase this down before I can even try to get the updates solved......

This really sounds like a permissions issue. Usually when updates fail I'll bring up the logs and find a permissions issue with a file/folder is causing the failed update.

I would assume the liberal use of the restore points caused the desktop hiccup, perhaps even a failing disk or failure in hardware during disk access?

Elmer's point is valid for some updates, especially when you're very badly behind. I know when I'm building PCs I'll just grab the current service pack, install that first, then do the critical updates, before finishing with the rest.

Good luck!

OK, I"ll now hang my head in shame... I forgot to check the log....... Just tried to clean up the mess and rerun the update... I'll have to look in there and see if there's something intuitively obvious... Although, this is a brand new install, and I haven't put anything else on the box yet - not even an anti-virus... Just O/S and drivers for the video and wireless card...

I didn't mess with Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 since it's still in Beta, but I suppose if the updates are gonna clobber things anyhow, the SP can't be any worse........ The good news is that if things TOTALLY compost, it's about as fast to re-install W7 as to have it restore a system from 21:30 last night... Which is when things were fine.... For some reason this big slug of updates hit at 1 a.m. this morning and pranged the system... I had the updates on automatic since this is my wife's box and if I don't she calls me every time she gets updates that need to be installed...

Back