Windows 7 Cropping Curves

seekermeister

Honorable Member
Often I need to crop an image with curves, especially curved corners, but everything that I have tried so far only crop in straight lines (rectangle). Is there a program available that can crop curves?

Just a suggestion :
You may be able to get a definitive answer from specialized support forums such as Gimp Support, Photoshop Community, etc.
Good luck.

I've never been long on patience. Paint.net is one of those programs that I downloaded a long time ago, and for whatever reason, never used much. I found the plugins you mentioned, and that enough that I dug the program out of my archive. Being a slow learner, I don't know how long it will take me to learn, but at least this gives me the incentive to do so. Thanks.

You're welcome. Just grab the radius corners plugin, extract it, put the .dll into C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects
Fire up Paint.NET load an image and from the menu bar choose Effects->Fill->Radius Fill Corners and let me know how it works for you

Last edited:
Hi

It depends on how you want to use the image after your crop it, but in Photoshop you would create a clipping path that would select the image but not the background and save it as a Tiff or native Photoshop file.

When pasted only the image shape would show.

It also depends on file type, for example PNG file will display with a transparent background and the same file saved as a .JPG will not.

So if you save a .PNG file that doesn't have a background, i.e. it's on a layer and doesn't have anything behind it, then it will display as only the shape you had on the layer.

It would help to know how you are going to use, or display an image that doesn't have a background?

Most image software will show a white background behind an image even it there is no background saved with the file.
It has to put something there, Photoshop is an exception, it will place the image on a layer, and show a blue checkerboard behind the image to show there is no background.

Do you mean you want to paste the image over another photo and have only what you are pasting show?

There are a lot of way to do that so it all depends on what how you are going to use it.

Mike

The images that I'm dealing with are either jpeg or png. I get them from a variety of sources, but many come from Google Images or the web in general. With rectangular images I can easily crop the wanted portion with the Snipping Tool, but sometimes I get one like the example screenshot below. Using this method, I don't think it is a matter of a separate image and background, it's all one image.

Their intended use is usually for representing a video in my movie cataloging program, which I don't believe would apply any background...at least it doesn't when I crop a rectangular portion. I doubt that I would be interested in Photoshop, because of it's price. My limited usage doesn't justify the expense, therefore I'm goingto try Trouble's suggestions, and see what happens.

Attachments

• paradox3.PNG
    paradox3.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 632
You're welcome. Just grab the radius corners plugin, extract it, put the .dll into C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects
Fire up Paint.NET load an image and from the menu bar choose Effects->Fill->Radius Fill Corners and let me know how it works for you

I just gave both the corner fill and rounded rectangle a shot, and had no luck with either. With corner fill, it just traded black corners for the white ones. Rounded rectangle was worse, because it not only produced black corners, it replaced the image itself with a solid color.

I'm not totally certain that I follow you, but when you select Radius Fill, there is only one small window that appears, and it is already set to transparent by default. I guess that part of the problem may be with the catalog program that I'm using this for, because it displays the image twice...once in an upper panel where one select a movie and once in the movies details window. In the details window it appears without the corners, but not in the upper thumbnails window. That might be because it only displays rectangular images, but if memory doesn't fail me, I think that I have used totally round images there without any rectangular sides being displayed. Either way, this isn't a solution for the problem so far.

Gimp has a little steeper learning curve but yes... according to this http://rifferaff.typepad.com/make_it/2006/09/making_rounded_.html it should do the trick.
She lost me very quickly, because while I do have Gimp 2.0 installed, which is what she says that she is working with, There is no Script-Fu on the toolbar as shown in her screenshots. In the location shown, I have Windows instead. The only place I find anything called Script-Fu is under the Filters button, but there is no Decor selection available on it's menu. Why would her 2.0 be any different from my 2.0?

As it turns out, it appears that I'm fighting a losing battle. While I couldn't find a means of using Script-Fu, I did find an option for rounded corners Under the Select button, which appears to have worked properly, but the images still displays with square white corners on the thumbnails view of my catalog program. I thought it capable of displaying rounded images, but I guess that I was wrong.

As it turns out, it appears that I'm fighting a losing battle. While I couldn't find a means of using Script-Fu, I did find an option for rounded corners Under the Select button, which appears to have worked properly, but the images still displays with square white corners on the thumbnails view of my catalog program. I thought it capable of displaying rounded images, but I guess that I was wrong.

Not that it matters to you anymore......
Current version is 2.8.6. I have it but never bother to dive into it.

It is really up to you. I would ask the folks at Gimp Support forums. They might have something to surprise you.

Last edited:
Hi

As I said it depends on how you are going to use it.
If you are creating documents for print then the application you are using should be able to do that on it's own.

I use Adobe Indesign, you can make any box have rounded corners of any radius you want.

HartMenuInsideLeft_zps2ea10e1d.jpg

This is a page from a menu that I'm working on right now.
As you can see you can not only have panels with rounded corners you can connect them any way you want.

You could do this in Photoshop or Illustrator as well, and a lot of other programs like the Corel products.

Mike

Last edited:
Not that it matters to you anymore......
Current version is 2.8.6. I have it but never bother to dive into it.

It is really up to you. I would ask the folks at Gimp Support forums. They might have something to surprise you.
Yes, but it is 2.8.6 that I have installed. Maybe the gal in the tutorial has an older version of Gimp 2 installed, but I wouldn't have thought that such a small change in versions would have made such a significant change in the layout or ability.

Yes, but it is 2.8.6 that I have installed. Maybe the gal in the tutorial has an older version of Gimp 2 installed, but I wouldn't have thought that such a small change in versions would have made such a significant change in the layout or ability.

Her article was dated 2006.
There are 4 more versions since 2.0.5
I'd say a lot has changed since.

Hi

I wish I did, but I don't live anyplace near Hart Michigan, and have actually never had their pizza.
I could really use a Pizza right now though. LOL

Mike

Back
Top Bottom