D-link help please DWA-142

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by Darenberry, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Darenberry

Darenberry New Member

Hello im in need of some help. I have windows7 ultamite 64bit.
    And all my drivers were installed by windows which is really nice but the most important driver wont install. I have a D-link DWA-142 wireless addapter. When i try to install the drivers i get an error msg saying "fail to install Wireless driver. Setup will exit".

Now i know iv been told it's not compatable with windows 7 BUT i have read forums where people claim to have gotten it to work "they just wont respond" and d-link says it it wont work with vista and i had it working.

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated. I dont have 150 to buy a new one.
    Thanks for your time.

Daren berry
    darenberry@gmail.com

2. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

3. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

See this post, the guy evidently found a driver for a netgear card with the same chipset as the d-link and it worked for him. Figure it might be worth a try. http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9211.0

4. pcbutler

pcbutler New Member

Solved

I had this same problem Two Win7 computers had no problem (one 32 bit and 1 64 bit AND a laptop that had no problems with it) But a third 64bit computer Utterly refused to use the DWA-142.

My solution.... Plugged it into a working computer and pulled up the driver details through the Device Manager. This info told me what SYS file in System32/Drivers directory it was using. I then copied that file to a thumb drive and copied it into the driver directory on the non-working computer.

Plugged in the DWA-142 and...SOLVED. Driver installed and ready to use!