Windows 7 Daily BSOD - Hardware or Software?

sraisz

I've searched the forums but not finding my problem dealt with. I'm getting almost daily BSOD and trying to decide whether to take the time to do a complete reinstall or send the computer back.

Here's the history:

I recently upgraded from a Dell INspiron notebook running 32-bit Vista to an HP Pavilion Quad core notebook running Factory installed Windows 7 Home Premium. (full details below)

Within a day of installing my suite of software, data, etc. that had been running without issues on the Inspiron, I started getting random BSOD and system reboot, about once a day, and 95% of the time when the system was idle for a while.

BlueScreen View reported the BSOD BUg was:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
and listed this driver:
NETw5s64.sys

This happened about once per day, but not always the same. 9 out of 10 was above, but there were a few which referenced the Nvidia driver:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
referencing this driver:
nvlddmkm.sys

After consulting HP, we did the following:
1) Hard disk and memory check - passed
2) Updated WiFI drivers to latest
3) Flashed Bios to latest

The problem did not go away.

Then about 4 days ago I stopped getting any BSOD. Until yesterday!

Now I am getting a new bug:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
listing this driver:
tcpip.sys

And again it is about once per day.

I tend to believe there is faulty hardware in the WiFI controller. So I am hesitant to waste a day reinstalling everything.

I work from home and this is my work computer, so I also do not want to send it in for repair.

I have until January 15th to return for a full refund, which might be a better option.

So my question is whether this is likely to be software or hardware?

If it is software would I be better off with Vista? or 32 bit Windows 7?

Here is the system info on the machine:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.13, 12/3/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Any help, suggestions from anyone is most appreciated.

With all the different errors your getting, I would ONE TIME relaod the OS and see if that makes a difference. If you continue to get errors, reload a SECOND time, from scratch, Vista and see if you get problems. IF you get errors from both OS's, I'd say it's a hardware problem. OR simply send it back. Let customer service know what's going on, and the fact that you've been in contact with HP and the problems have not been resolved.

Good luck!

The NETw system driver you specified sounds related to NETGEAR wireless products, try uninstalling your wireless adapter from Device Manager (Ask if you need instructions).

Back