Windows 7 Daily BSOD

David Gary

Seems like every day the PC either freezes or we see the dreaded BSOD. I've attached the following info, thanks for your help in advance!!

I'm running an HP Pavillion, AMD 64 dual core. Nettle Mainboard. 3GB DDR2 RAM. (I had a 500GB HDD on it, but thought that was the problem and stuck in an 80GB spare drive. After a fresh install, all was well for a few months, then it started again - BSOD.)

View attachment Seven Forums.zip

RAMmon SPD info attached. I've ran the other ram program previously to test my RAM overnight...Never gave me any indication of any faults.

Attachments

• RAMMon - SPD Info.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 194
Hi David and Welcome to The Forum.

You've a lot of varied stop codes which can indicate hardware issues. A couple of your latest dumps have a lot of "errors" in them, a couple list your Avast Security.

Avast! has been (rarely) known to be the cause of BSOD's on some Windows 7 systems.
Uninstall Avast using the Avast ASW Clear Tool until your issue is resolved. Download Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled! Once we've cleared up your pc feel free to re-try Avast!

I don't think it's the actual problem, it's just getting the blame, but with it out the way we'll hopefully see what is the real cause.

Good move on updating nVidia, the dump I've just opened from 2 days ago shows them as quite old. Did you use Driver Sweeper while updating?

Recommended method of updating older graphic set ups is:

• Download and install DriverSweeper.
  • Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features
  • Boot to (preferably) Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
  • Reboot to Normal Mode.
  • Install your new Graphics set up.

Last edited:
Hello David and welcome to the forum.
Can you attempt to stabilize machine by removing the two 512meg sticks of RAM and using only the two 1 Gig sticks of Micron Memory. Making sure that those two modules are placed into the proper memory slots as per you computer's documentation regarding memory.
Also you should probably perform a check of your hard disk
So open an elevated command prompt, Click the Start Orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click it and choose Run as Administrator) and type
chkdsk C: /R
let it finish all five stages and see what it produces.
If you miss the final results you can find the chkdsk log in the Event Viewer
Before do this you may want to perform a disk cleanup and defrag of the disk to nominally help speed up the process a bit.
If removing the two memory modules seems to stabilize the machine then we can assume that the issue is with mismatched memory. Windows 7 (especially the 64 bit version can be a bit picky about memory)
Failing this you should probably consider adding the sticks back in and
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Last edited:
Back