Windows 7 Decreasing volume

AJB

I have a HP G62 laptop with windows 7 home premium and play dvds with windows media player. I have an intermittent problem with the volume decreasing. The sound simply falls to zero and it may happen when I am not even touching the keyboard.

Can you help? Thanks

Does a headset react the same way?

Is the volume control actually moving to show a decreased volume?

Hi, thanks for replying

Does a headset react the same way? Yes

Is the volume control actually moving to show a decreased volume? Yes, that's what is so strange, you can see it slowly falling. Even more oddly, opening a web browser using the button on the laptop sometimes stops the fall.

Thanks

Glad the volume control is moving, that means it is not a hardware issue.

I am trying to think of anything that might try to control the volume without your input. About all I can come up with is a communications device, but that will normally mute it completely.

If the problems are intermittent, it might be best to try to find something common about your system when this event occurs. If you start your system without running any other software, does it have the problem?

Do you run some game that might effect the volume?

Hi

This web page is tripping up on me!

No I have no games running but the volume just fell as an email arrived. A bit of a longshot but I have switched off the sound alerts on new emails.

Thanks

If you can't think of anything, and you are not using Skype or something similar. You are not hitting any key combinations that would lower the volume. There is no physical control on the volume that might be turned down. Or there is not a second mixing utility that might be overriding your settings, I would think about reinstalling the audio drivers.

Back
Top Bottom