Defender update error code

Anyone have Defender keep hollering that it can't install updates, with the error code of 0x80004002?

Any good comprehensive list of error codes specific to Vista?

Thank you. I used this same approach you gave me to work on this and another error message. I assume you just enter the message on the MS site and it wil work pretty much like this every time.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi MTHall51,

glad it worked out for you..:) MS usually has fixes for error codes, if not, try 'googling' as that sometimes turns up results..

Mine on my XP machine done that and I had to uninstall it and reinstall to clear it up.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Yup, sometimes it's the only way to go..

You know my motto.... If I can't get it right in about 2 hours.... I'll reformat in a heartbeat. :D

I think I will do that -- I mean the reinstall, but come to think of it, reformatting sounds like a better idea. Haven't done that on this particular machine yet.

I think I will do that -- I mean the reinstall, but come to think of it, reformatting sounds like a better idea. Haven't done that on this particular machine yet.
I have it down to a science, All of my "documents" are kept on an external hard drive :D

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.