Windows 7 Deleting IE9

julio99

Just to be clear. I find that I have IE9 installed on my laptop. Not quite sure how that happened other than me putting it there, but now that it's here what will happen if I disable it in "Turning Windows Features On or off"? I still use FF for my browser and really can't think of any reason to keep IE open. Does Hotmail still work without IE? Am I going to lose any important features of Windows if I disable IE?

Hello and welcome back to the forums :)

You can safely disable IE 9 from within that dialog, sites such as Windows Live Hotmail will function just fine in Firefox/other browsers.
Be advised that essential components of IE 9 will still be present (while you will never see them, they are required for certain aspects of Windows).
By turning it "off" it'll be out of your face.

Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome back to the forums :)

You can safely disable IE 9 from within that dialog, sites such as Windows Live Hotmail will function just fine in Firefox/other browsers.
Be advised that essential components of IE 9 will still be present (while you will never see them, they are required for certain aspects of Windows).
By turning it "off" it'll be out of your face.

Hope this helps.

Yes that is what I was looking for. Sorry about posting in discussion. You guys rock on the answers. So many other forums, no answers . Keep em coming and thanks again.

If you had IE 8 before, you might go start type in the search area using the word installed then select view installed updates scroll down looking for WINDOWS Internet Explorer 9, you should be able to uninstall 9 and revert back to IE 8. In all cases I would recommend having a current full image backup available, after this is Windows

Isn't that strange? Somehow I had installed that IE9 update a month ago. I don't suppose the fact that I have another laptop that I installed it on that it would automatically install on this one. It's not like they're on a same network or anything. I only use the other laptop in emergency mode or I'll take it out and run updates and such to keep the antivirus and all up to snuff. I like that "After all it is Windows". Anyhow, I took 9 off and it defaulted back to 8. I may just go the route of taking IE all the way off the machine as Mitchell has said most things will still run as if IE was still installed as some components are needed to run Windows. Sounds like I'm rambling, so I'll cut this short. Thanks for getting me to the "installed updates" the way you did. That is something I didn't know was that you could just type install into the search box in the start menu and you get all the "installed entries" Very Cool! Thanks again.

Back