Windows 7 desktop background

waltswife

When I set my desktop background, I can only get it 'stretched'. I've tried changing it to centered, but it won't stay. I'm not new to computers, but I am new to Windows 7. I don't understand this.

Thanks.

Please indicate what kind of graphics card you have. You may need updated drivers for wallpaper and other display elements to render properly.

When I set my desktop background, I can only get it 'stretched'. I've tried changing it to centered, but it won't stay. I'm not new to computers, but I am new to Windows 7. I don't understand this.

Thanks.

Control Panel > Personalization > Desktop Background > Picture position:

Have you tried selecting Fill? Try other options as well. It depends on the wallpaper's resolution and format, e.g. 4:3, 16:4, etc. A widescreen 16:4 wallpaper cannot fit the same as 4:3.

Feel free to attach the "problem" wallpaper. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Mike. Would you tell me how to find this info? I've never had to look for this before.

Start menu => type in dxdiag => Screen tab

Last edited:
Thanks Cybercore. I've tried everysetting offered to no avail. I'll boot up the laptop and get that other info shortly.

Ok... These are the options available - fill, fit, stretch, tile, center.

Will attach the pic I made when I scanned in my mousepad (wanted matching desktop). And I'll attach the info I got about my computer.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

For the life of my I cannot figure out how to attach the text doc about my computer. But here's what I think the card is...

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Hope this helps. Thanks.

At the risk of making you more frustrated!
I right clicked your picture and selected "Set as background"

Got this:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

What size screen resolution have you selected?

Last edited:
I have it set to 1600 x 900. That's what is recommended by HP for this laptop with the 17" screen. I may have distorted the pic when I went from the square mouse pad to the rectangle for the pic. But I still cannot get the background to change to centered. It would have a broder around the pic and I can't get that. I like it that way so I can put my icons on the solid borders. Visually that's better for me. That way the pic is not cluttered with icons.

Well, it looks better. But I still cannot get the setting to change to centered so the pic is smaller and with a solid border around it. Even tried to set it to tile just to see if it works. Can't do it.

Very frustrating. Hubby and I have the same laptops, bought at the same store at the same time. Both are having the same issues. I'm going to pull out what's left of my hair! Thanks for trying.

Have you tried to right click my picture, straight from the link, and "set as background"?

Sets as background fine, but I still can't get it to change to center or tile or anything other than stretch. Thanks for trying.

If your computer is an HP, I think I may have found something for you. (If it is not an HP - sorry - forget it!)
Go here and install this program.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

WOW! This sounds good. I'll give it a try. I'm not sure I would have know where to look for stuff like this. Thanks.

Fantastic!!! It worked. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much. It's a very small pic in the center of my screen, but it works.

Well, it looks better. But I still cannot get the setting to change to centered so the pic is smaller and with a solid border around it. Even tried to set it to tile just to see if it works. Can't do it.

Very frustrating. Hubby and I have the same laptops, bought at the same store at the same time. Both are having the same issues. I'm going to pull out what's left of my hair! Thanks for trying.

Did you try setting RAK's as resize/stretch/fit?

Could you take a screenshot of your desktop?

Back