Windows 7 Desktop icons

john92210

In Windows 7, I arrange desktop icons the way I want them. However, when returning from sleep mode or shutdown, Windows completely re-arranges them. How can I stop this from happening.

We hear this question a lot, and I can't help but think that there must be more to the problem than meets the eye.
Typically to keep your desktop icons how and where you want them only requires that you right click the desktop, and from the context menu choose View->remove the check from Auto arrange icons and depending on the arrangement of your icons and how the may appear to move, even so slightly you may want to uncheck the Align Icons to grid option also, that setting shouldn't completely rearrange your icons but may move them slightly to what windows considers the closest grid location.

Last edited:
I have had auto arrange off but this does not stop the rearrangement of icons. I'll try turning off align to grid also and see if that solves the problem.

Have you been able to test the same issue with another or newly created user just to see if there maybe some corruption with your profile (ntuser.dat / HKEY_Current_User) which keeps track of user preferences like the placement of desktop icons? If other users or a newly created user do not seem to have the same problem then you may need to consider creating a new profile for yourself and moving everything over (except ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log(s) and ntuser.ini). The following article may help How to Fix Corrupted User Profile in Windows 7
Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Just to let you know. Turning off both auto arrange and align to grid solved the problem. The icons don't move around on the desktop when I reboot or come out of sleep.

Great, glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back with the followup and letting us know. Hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back
Top Bottom