Windows 7 desktop.ini

sniffles

Windows 7 Version 6.1 Build (7100)

Question - Every time I insert a Commercial or Burnable DVD or CD into the drive. The "desktop.ini" file will insert itself automatically onto the disc and displays that it is ready to be burned to the disc. Has this been fixed on the latest version on Windows 7?

See Attachment.
Sniffles

Its a Microsoft protected file. If you delete it it will be rewritten on boot. There is no real reason to see these files. Open the Windows Explorer - Tools _ Folder Options, and View. Scroll down and Hide protected operating system files..

I understand if you hide the hidden files you will not see those files, but I just don't understand why the ini file is trying to add itself to the DVD or CD-Rom. I think Microsoft can do the same affect by keeping the file on the hard drive and not confusing the users and have the file appear on the CD drive. Its just lazy coding. Remember Microsoft are software makers and they are the dreamers of the dreams. So lets code it correctly.

Sniffles :p

Its a Microsoft protected file. If you delete it it will be rewritten on boot. There is no real reason to see these files. Open the Windows Explorer - Tools _ Folder Options, and View. Scroll down and Hide protected operating system files..

Well, perhaps in their opinion it is coded correctly. I will admit that, with current useage and third party methods, they are becoming redundant. But as they, under most circumstances, use no resources, hidden they do not concern me.
Perhaps you would like to read this page:
Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini

Windows 7 Version 6.1 Build (7100)

Question - Every time I insert a Commercial or Burnable DVD or CD into the drive. The "desktop.ini" file will insert itself automatically onto the disc and displays that it is ready to be burned to the disc. Has this been fixed on the latest version on Windows 7?

See Attachment.
Sniffles

Nope. I have to delete it all the time.

WE both could stop showing hidden files... but it will still be there.

I wrote in my blog about how to delete files that get left sitting there because they make a stupid message come on after reboot... Now I'm wondering if I deleted the whole folder ... would desktop.ini recreate it. I would also probably get upredicted results if I used the iso burner that is included with windows.

But I do know a trick I can use that WILL prevent a program from recreating the folder. I may get bored and just try it.

If i figure out anythign I'll put it in my next blog.

It may show that it wants to add it but it does not. Only the data files are actually written to the disk.

Back