Windows 7 desktop unresponsive (Windows 7 64 bit)

ray4292

I just got this new computer a few days ago, and everything was going great until my desktop just all of a sudden became unresponsive. I can't add new icons or click on the icons on the desktop (I can change the background though). This is a problem that I've never encountered before. I would appreciate some help. thank you

My Computer specs:
HP Pavillion Entertainment series laptop
Inter core i5 processor (2.26 ghz)
4 gb of DDR3 ram
500 GB Hard Drive (7200 rpm)
nVidia GeForce G105 graphics

I'm assuming you restarted the computer

Installed any new Antivirus Programs etc?
Are you running an AV program?
Have you tried Right-Clicking the Desktop and Hitting Refresh?
Are you the only user with admin privileges?
Any error messages etc?

Seems strange that just the Desktop would freeze. When you right click the desktop does a Dialog box appear?

Last edited:
I am running AVG 9 Pro. I already tried right clicking the desktop and no dialog box would appear. I am the only user and I have received no error messages.

Have you tried booting into safe-mode to see if the problem persists there?

Some startup apps might be causing this.
Have you checked the Startup entries?

To do so open a run prompt (WinKey + R) and type msconfig and hit enter.
In the startup tab you can uncheck startup entries.
You could try disabling a few that are not critical and see if it helps (also speeds up boot time)

I'd also try a full system virus scan as I've seen some viruses that create a layer over the desktop to try and disguise itself as a UAC prompt

Has anyone found a solution for this? I built 2 computers last week that are doing the same thing, where the icons are not responsive but everything else is. Both clients are upset and I have no solution.

I'm also having this issue, on a 32-bit version of Windows 7. It started a few weeks ago, and at first I thought it was Stardock Fences, so I uninstalled and rebooted... nothing.

I thought it might also be some desktop widgets and adobe air programs I have running, turned off, rebooted, desktop still becomes unresponsive after a while.

What's up with this?

I think I found the culprit. It is something about/in Internet Explorer 8. When IE 8 is open, the desktop goes unresponsive.

Close IE via the Task Manager, and voila! I have desktop access again.

I think I found the culprit. It is something about/in Internet Explorer 8. When IE 8 is open, the desktop goes unresponsive.

Close IE via the Task Manager, and voila! I have desktop access again.

Found the same thing with IE9. iexplore process running, although IE9 closed. This on win7 x64 Ent machine

I had the same issue with a Windows 7 machine running IE 10. I found a toolbar that was installed and running in IE. Once I disabled and uninstalled the toolbar and reopened IE the desktop was still responsive. Hopefully this helps.

Yeah this is kind of an issue I had, truthfully I fixed my issue by not using IE and use another browser like Chrome or firefox.
If IE is running, everything becomes a slug.
I know many of you would probably favor IE, b ut its always good to look at alternatives.
Also if you bought a new computer you may need to wipe out some of the OEM crap, OEM's like loading computers with useless garbage that not only eats up space but memory.

I just got this new computer a few days ago, and everything was going great until my desktop just all of a sudden became unresponsive. I can't add new icons or click on the icons on the desktop (I can change the background though). This is a problem that I've never encountered before. I would appreciate some help. thank you

My Computer specs:
HP Pavillion Entertainment series laptop
Inter core i5 processor (2.26 ghz)
4 gb of DDR3 ram
500 GB Hard Drive (7200 rpm)
nVidia GeForce G105 graphics

A few suggestions :
1. Restore explorer.exe
press CTRL + Alt + Del together > Task Manager > Processes tab > right click at explorer.exe > click End Process > Applications tab > New Task... > in the Open box, type explorer.exe > OK
Is desktop back to normal ?

2. Rebuild your icon cache. Yours might be corrupted.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

3. Run a system file check. It is to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
Does the Start button work ?
Start > search box, type cmd > top left, right click at cmd.exe > select Run As Administration > at the flashing prompt of the black and white window, type sfc /scannow > press Enter.
( note : there is a space between "sfc" and the "/" ).
It will take sometime. Sit back and wait.
At the end, the system will either tell you that it has found corrupt files and fixed them, or it has found some but unable to repair.
If it has done the repair, check the desktop.

Please post back the result.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom