Windows 7 Desktopbackground fails when modifying "Default(user)"

jaybird

Hi!

I'm gonna modify the folder in Windows XP called "Default User", in Windows 7 called "Default". (=I'm gonna do it in W7 :p )

What I have modified:
-Change the desktop background
-Change screensaver
-Change the who of the systemicons thats supposed to be shown
-Change site in IE8

Problem:
I have followed Link Removed - Invalid URL guide, and when I have created a new user and logged on to see if everything works out, the desktoppicture aint there, just black desktop.

BTW I've placed the desktop picture in the Windows folder.

Someone has any idea what's wrong? Any other place I should put this picture?

Home page in IE8 works as its supposed to:)

Thank you!
-. jAybird

Why don't you just create a new account and change what features you like to suit?

I have ask the same question months ago and have received stupid forum answers. This is what I figured out without doing a sysprep that Microsoft wants you to due. I hope this helps you or any other reader. - Sniffles - :razz:

Step 1 - Create a temp account called Happy with your desire permission for that account.
Step 2 - Log in using your Happy account.
Step 3 - Once logged in modify your account and your icons to the desktop and tweaks etc..
Step 4 - Log out of Happy account and log into your Admin account.
Step 5 - Open the Control Panel and open Folder Options and in the view tab click on show All hidden file, folder drives
Step 6 - Open Windows Explorer and go to users folder.
Step 7 - Copy the Default folder and now Paste it in the users folder so it will create a backup call Default - Copy.
Step 8 - Copy the Happy account and paste it so it will create backup call Happy - Copy.
Step 9 - Delete the Default account - "DO NOT Delete Default User"
Step 10 -Rename Happy account to Default - and you are done.

Hi!

I'm gonna modify the folder in Windows XP called "Default User", in Windows 7 called "Default". (=I'm gonna do it in W7 :p )

What I have modified:
-Change the desktop background
-Change screensaver
-Change the who of the systemicons thats supposed to be shown
-Change site in IE8

Problem:
I have followed Link Removed - Invalid URL guide, and when I have created a new user and logged on to see if everything works out, the desktoppicture aint there, just black desktop.

BTW I've placed the desktop picture in the Windows folder.

Someone has any idea what's wrong? Any other place I should put this picture?

Home page in IE8 works as its supposed to:)

Thank you!
-. jAybird

Kemical,,, that is a way to do it..... but lets say you are in a company and you want the background, desktop icons, other settings to be the same for all users..... this is one way of doing it,, change the default user profile.....

However,,,,, The best way is probably through a GPO instead of the default user, like XP.

Things have changed and 7 is much more suited to using GPO's for a lot of things.
GPO's are the way of the future.

gpmc.msc in the Start / Search box

For those that don't know,.,...

GPO = Group Policy Object
GPMC = Group Policy Management Console

Last edited:
There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of Group Policy settings. Doubled.

Win XP has the ability to use GPMC, but it is not installed by default,, and I think only available on Pro.
7 has it built in,, and I think it is in all flavors.

We are encouraged to use GPO's for a lot of things we used to do through registry or other means.

Back