Windows 10 DesktopS (plural)

Hi

Personally I just don't get it.

I've experimented around with it but I don't see any advantage to just having multiple applications open and switching from one to another via the task bar, or Task View Button.

If you could save a different desktop layout with different icons etc, then it might serve some purpose but any icon or folder added to any of them appears on all of them.

The only thing that doesn't is running applications.

I pretty much never have more then 4 or 5 applications open at the same time, so I just don't see a use for it.

I can easily manage 5 running programs on one desktop.

Here's 11...

Desktop_zpsf10a578d.png

Mike

Mike,

It does not have to be used. Certainly, everything can be in one Desktop and hover across the Taskbar or Alt-Tab or there is the new multiple desktop way. Again, it's just to let people know what various approaches to things are available to them. Some may care to take advance of separating things, some may not... no worries.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

ROFL Call it what you like i still dislike it... :D

And there is no obligation to like it or thought that anyone should or must like it, of course. Some may, some may not... was mentioned as a matter of informing of its existance & how it MIGHT be used; nothing more.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Just calling it what it is rather than what it is not. That's all. No worries.

I still don't see any purpose for it?

Why would you want to spread things over more desktops.

That seems like the opposite of streamlining things.

Since you can't save a configuration and open it automatically later... what's the use?

Maybe if you for instance, you often used (as I do) Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign at the same time, and you could save that desktop with the open programs on it...

And later open that desktop and it would open all the software to the same spot you were in all the applications when you closed it, that would be a time saver, but if you have to set it up every time, then I just don't see the point.

Mike

IDK why, but I like the concept. Probably because it's just geeky enough to catch my interest.
But it seems to be glitchy as hell, or that could be my interpretation and what I see as glitches may be purposeful and by design.
If you try to open a second instance of an app on a second desktop say IE that doesn't seem to work. Some apps seem to always want to open on the primary desktop, like the Mail App.
I could see the utility on a small device with say a 10 inch screen but I think even then it might need to be a bit more robust and fleshed out with a few more features.
I played with virtual desktops in linux and Microsoft's own version from SysInternals http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881.aspx but I always seemed to get bored after a while and return to more conventional, traditional methods of handling multiple apps.

I don't run into any such 'glitch'. (for example) > the Task View button, open IE in it. Hit the Task View button, open another Desktop, Rt Clk on the IEs (icon) showing on the taskbar & select Internet Explorer, again... you will get another IE browser windows it that new Desktop.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Seems like a lot of work to go through instead of using tabs if just using a browser. As trouble puts it, it is a bit geeky....but damn...it seems to be totally useless IMO.

No worries. Not necessarily for everyone, of course. For the moment, I'm mostly just messing about w/ whatever this OS does, can do or is; just to discover & know. & for now, @ least, I kinda like how I can use this.

Last edited:
Rt Clk on the IEs (icon) showing on the taskbar & select Internet Explorer, again... you will get another IE browser windows it that new Desktop.
Right Click, that must be the trick, probably because it is a common taskbar across all native and virtual desktops. It's a feature not a bug....:)

Right Click, that must be the trick, probably because it is a common taskbar across all native and virtual desktops. It's a feature not a bug....:)

Correct. Your understanding of that is correct or of what I said/described is correct.

I have to agree with the majority call here. I don't dislike it but, for the average user, I cannot see any real potential for it, as opposed to using multi windows on one desktop. Probably MS trying to keep up with the idiosyncrasies of Linux.

Just thought to add. I have used Dexpot in the past. I have just loaded it again, in Windows 8.1. Runs 100% and offers multi desktops and several other features not present in Windows X - background colour change for example, for each individual window.

I have to agree with the majority call here. I don't dislike it but, for the average user, I cannot see any real potential for it, as opposed to using multi windows on one desktop. Probably MS trying to keep up with the idiosyncrasies of Linux.

Well, regardless of majorities or agreements I like it & find I can & do put it to good use. No harm, no foul, right?

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

I don't like it either. Calling it Virtual Desktops is a misnomer and might lead some folks to think there is some enhanced security when running virtual devices.

It is just a virtual monitor and should be identified as such.

Virtual, to me, belongs w/ virtualization, virtual machines & such in something like Hyper-v. Ergo, I, personally avoid the whole thing & just refer to the feature as Multiple Desktops.
And in articles about Windows 10 Features they do the same, @ least that's what they use for a heading
Multiple Desktops.png

Guess, I'll just be on my own... I am liking the use to which I can put this feature. Guess, there isn't anything that says everyone has to follow the crowd or think alike.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

I don't like it either. Calling it Virtual Desktops is a misnomer and might lead some folks to think there is some enhanced security when running virtual devices.

It is just a virtual monitor and should be identified as such.
Exactly... Poor mans multi monitor as Microsoft calls it.. Everyone to their own but it's not for me and if anything I wish I could remove it or at least exchange it for something else which I do find useful. I've already sent feedback to MS asking if this feature could be made exchangeable as it'a pain when I sometimes forget I'm in win 10 and hit it thinking it's windows explorer (which is the shortcut I use in 8.1)..... Let's hope they at least let us change it for something else..

Small compromise for that. Change the explorer icon to something more unmistakable.

I guess David... I do it more out of habit than actually looking at what I'm doing... My fault I know but still that Icon (Task View) is occupying some very useful Real Estate and I wish it could be moved/exchanged for something else..

Wow.... Nice find!.. I'll create a System restore point and give it a go.. I'll report back. Thanks David!

Limited success I'm afraid... Ran it once and it removed the icons. Rebooted and they came back which was no surprise as I'd chosen the temporary fix. This time I tried the permanent solution and nada, nothing.. Did a little troubleshooting via their support page but it wasn't to be. It nearly worked.... Thank you anyway.. :)

Exactly... Poor mans multi monitor as Microsoft calls it.. Everyone to their own but it's not for me and if anything I wish I could remove it or at least exchange it for something else which I do find useful. I've already sent feedback to MS asking if this feature could be made exchangeable as it'a pain when I sometimes forget I'm in win 10 and hit it thinking it's windows explorer (which is the shortcut I use in 8.1)..... Let's hope they at least let us change it for something else..

Or you could just simply not use the Feature which, you think is so ridiculous. No one has any obligation to bother w/ something just cus it's there. You've well made your bad feelings towards it clear. So, since you feel so, would seem logical to just not be all bothered about it but, instead, ignore its existence.

Y'all might more peace if y'all did the same. For those who see some value, let then use it as they see fit. For the rest of you who find it so terrible, stupid & goofy... find your peace by carry on as if it is not there. That way it won't trouble you.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Back