Windows 10 DesktopS (plural)

But Drew I'm just exercising my right to have an opinion as you do... There is no need to get all defensive. I'm certainly not attacking you or anyone else who wants to use this feature....

Limited success I'm afraid... Ran it once and it removed the icons. Rebooted and they came back which was no surprise as I'd chosen the temporary fix. This time I tried the permanent solution and nada, nothing.. Did a little troubleshooting via their support page but it wasn't to be. It nearly worked.... Thank you anyway.. :)
Thanks for the feedback and daring! I have only used the temp feature. I.ll try the permanent one now and see what happens.

Later. Yeps. Darn. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
I sometimes forget I'm in win 10 and hit it thinking it's windows explorer (which is the shortcut I use in 8.1).....

I never paid attention to the icon....it's the same icon in Vista for the freaking Flip 3D thingy or damn near close to it. Didn't like it in Vista and sure as hell don't like it in Windows X.

Hi

I don't see how you can call it multiple desktops if they aren't persistent.

MultipleDesktops_zpsa789602c.png

That's the way they make it sound.

"Allowing productive, organised folk to arrange separate desktops for different tasks."

You could have a Graphic Arts Desktop, a Gaming Desktop, a Video Editing Desktop, (I can see that would have a use) but then you should be able to save and load them when ever you need them, not have to set them up every time.

I thought that maybe I was missing something so I set up 3 different desktops and rebooted and when I got back to the desktop the multiple desktops were gone. It just puts everything on the first desktop.

I think this could be a good idea if the desktops lasted as long as you wanted them to.

Mike

But Drew I'm just exercising my right to have an opinion as you do... There is no need to get all defensive. I'm certainly not attacking you or anyone else who wants to use this feature....

You misunderstood. Was nothing against opinion, not defensive, didn't feel attacked. Just thought if one doesn't like something or has no esteem for it, just don't use it. That's all.

After the rare times of rebooting don't find it a big deal to set them up if & however (still) wanted. Wow, you guys sure are intense & severe in expressing your dislike for this. You don't have to use what you dislike so much, you know. You could not let it bother you & just be relaxed w/out it troubling you. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

I don't dislike it, I just don't see a use for it.
At least not for me, it you could save them maybe but since you can't I don't see what's the point.

I know people with a zillion icons files etc. on their desktops, for them being able to spread them out would make sense if they stayed that way.

But if you desktop is that busy, do you really want to have to organised it every time you turn on your computer?

My desktop is so simple it just wouldn't be any help.

Desktop_zpsfde36774.jpg

Mike

And, plus, Mike, For me, I'm, also, just mucking about, too. Discovering, learning, knowing what's available, what one can do w/ 'it... just the OS in general. And booting is rare. So for now it's ok to experiment & explore. Pretty casual, really. Yep, likely mean more benifit to some than others.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Limited success I'm afraid... Ran it once and it removed the icons. Rebooted and they came back which was no surprise as I'd chosen the temporary fix. This time I tried the permanent solution and nada, nothing.. Did a little troubleshooting via their support page but it wasn't to be. It nearly worked.... Thank you anyway.. :)
Hey. Since my last post I have been away to grandchildrens parties. Woke up this morning and booted up, and those icons have gone!

Certainly the feature is not a bad idea, but not something I would personally use. However, I can see the long-term value for others, who use a multi-desktop under other operating systems. Maybe the save feature is still in development. Certainly, a lot of people will find use for this feature, but I am simply not one of them. I agree that we should really not make it a divisive issue and explore these types of features further. I am glad that the Modern UI thing has been curtailed, for the most part, for KVM users and is planned for a sort of "mode" type if you have a touch screen device (or depending on how you configure the operating system to recognize the device). Basically, I am for any and all options that do not try to limit or control the presentation within the Windows environment. For example, if you want rounded edges on your Windows, you should be able to do it. If you want multiple desktops, well, you should be able to call one up. If you want to interact with the device under a touchscreen user interface, OK. I think that is where they are looking towards (or, at least, I hope).

Tried the permanent solution straight away this time (after creating a further System restore) and ta da.... Now I can use that real estate for the icons I want.. Much thanks David... :)

Screenshot11_zpsb1e61745.png

Back