Desperate for Help! SATA and RAID setup

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by europride, Jun 16, 2009.

1. europride

europride New Member

Hey guys,
    So I completly built a new system and am runing Windows 7 64-bit now. I am trying to setup a Raid1 setup so I have the two identical drives copy one another for back-up purposes.

I am runing a ASUS P5Q motherboard, 1TB HDD, 500 GB HDD, and then the Identical 2 500GB HDD for the raid setup. The Install disc that came with my motherboard does not support windows 7, but I have installed the drivers from Vista 64-bit. The HDD is found in the Device Manager, however it only shows one HDD, which I asume is normal as they are supposed to be like that??? When I go into my computer it is not displayed there (Which is why I think it is not setup in the BIOS) When I go into BIOS I cant find anywhere where I can switch the HDD to a Raid setup.

Please help!

2. busydog

busydog New Member

Thoughts

I'd try the ASUS website for help on setting up RAID if you HAVE to have it. I use Acronis to image from HD1 to HD2, partition by partition, so I can multi-boot and always know when I have backed up. Short of RAID Level 5 I don't think I would find RAID to be of much use in ensuring day-to-day reliable operation.

3. Highwayman

Highwayman Extraordinary Member

Usually the Raid enable in bios feature adds a 2nd boot screen for the raid configuration shortly before the windows kicks in.

4. europride

europride New Member

I found some other little tips I will try out tonight and see if it works. Thanks guys.

5. europride

europride New Member

Ok so found the setting in BIOS and changed it from IDE to RAID. Then went on to the sub menu by pressing the Control + I to access the RAID submenu where it showed all of my HDD's and I created my RAID1 Setup from this menu, using the HDD's that were not seen before. Booted up again with the saved settings and it asks me for a bootable disk. So I insert Windows 7, and it trys to re-install again??? So sure why not I got nothing to lose so Installed it again and now it only shows my 2 HDD's that are the RAID setup, and not the others.

So my questions are:

Why are there 2 RAID HDD's if its setup as a RAID1 setup so they are supposed to mirror one another.
    Why arent my other drives showing up?
    I am so frustrated and cant figure this out it is making me angry:mad::eek:

Please Help!

6. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

With only the two raid disks installed, prep the array with the ctrl-I utility, boot from the W7 install CD, you should see one disk. Format, partition as required, install W7 and then enable the remaining disks afterwards.

#6 Kiwi, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. Tepid

Tepid New Member

Raid 5 is nice and all, and would be beneficial, but, Mirroring is just as beneficial for a home user.
    If one drive dies you can still use the system, get the drive replaced and rebuild the mirror without skipping a beat. And yes, I still recommend regular back ups or agree with Aconis Full Disk Images to an external HDD that is only connected during a backup and removed to a fireproof box. Just in case that freak accident happens that blows out both HDD's in the mirror.