Digital River

davidhk129

Does this forum permit suggesting Digital River, such as downloading ISOs, to the OPs ?
Some forums frown on that.
I want to make sure first.

Microsoft has hosted the files at DigitalRiver for years and has not taken them down or made efforts to prevent hotlinking. The reality is you need a valid license for Windows Genuine Advantage. Other sites often refer to the Digital River files, and I do not think this is a problem. @nmsuk and @Josephur discussed this in a conference call last night by happenstance. They will likely be placed in the Resources area soon.

Microsoft has hosted the files at DigitalRiver for years and has not taken them down or made efforts to prevent hotlinking. The reality is you need a valid license for Windows Genuine Advantage. Other sites often refer to the Digital River files, and I do not think this is a problem. @nmsuk and @Josephur discussed this in a conference call last night by happenstance. They will likely be placed in the Resources area soon.

Thank you. I just want to make sure, that's all.
I asked because I had a "run in" with a person in another forum. I was accused of suggesting something illegal. He threw the End User Agreement book at me.
I told him that one needed a valid product key to make the iso download worked, but he did not buy that.

To answer that more thoroughly... is Digital River an authoritative site for distributing Windows 7? We don't know

Are the links legitimate? We know the answer to that, and its yes.

Is it ok to mirror (redistribute on a diff. server) those links? No. Due to the danger of malware injection, at the least.

Would it be trouble to hyperlink to the links? Probably not. We simply don't know. But its on the Internet,
unrestricted. At this point, sites all over the Internet make reference to these links, after years of them being online.

Does it violate EULA? We don't know.

Why would they be there if it does? Well, Digital River sells copies of Windows. How well they protect those copies from arbitrary download would be up to them.

If you don't feel comfortable using DigitalRiver there is always:

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

If there is a problem putting up DigitalRiver links we can take them down no sooner than we put them up. It would be nice to get clarification from Microsoft, and we could, but it would probably take a very long time, and our connection with them is on the community level.

But seeing as they have a bot that goes about flagging content for DMCA removal, I suspect that, after years, they would have asked Digital River to lock down the content. To give you an idea: Microsoft asks Gooogle to blacklist Microsoft.com

All of this is speculative.

It is important to us to respect Microsoft's trademarks and copyrights, so if we received a request to remove a link to DigitalRiver we would. As far as any other communication about activation, licensing, etc. these need to be strictly technical, clear, concise, and, of course, we can not give away licenses, or a free copy of X, Y, or Z. The goal of supplying a link to the Digital River files would always be support-based with the assumption that a backup is desperately needed. This is because we know this is a secure distribution point and we don't know why exactly it is open ended to the public, if not to supply a way to download the files knowing for certain they have not been compromised.

If you go to digital rivers site...you'll see that those ISO links are no longer available. Holy crap...now I can't even find Digital River's site.

Last edited:
Yeah...I found that site as well, but that's not the actual digital river website. There are a few other forums with active links to the actual ISO file to download that I found as well. I still can't find anything for Digital River...anywehre. I think it's been taken down.

Yeah...I found that site as well, but that's not the actual digital river website. There are a few other forums with active links to the actual ISO file to download that I found as well. I still can't find anything for Digital River...anywehre. I think it's been taken down.

If it has been taken down, how come the links are still active and good ?

Updating.......
Info I gathered is......
1. Digital River website no longer exists.
2. Links to download various versions of Win 7 iso are still valid and legit.

Digital River Inc. Is the parent company that is responsible for software distribution for their customers, one of which is Microsoft (Microsoft Store) via e-commerce hosting. http://www.digitalriver.com/
On September 1, 2010, we announced an amendment of our agreement with Microsoft Corporation (“Microsoft”) to extend the term of the Microsoft Operations Digital Distribution Agreement through October 31, 2013. On August 30, 2010, we entered into the Microsoft Store USA statement of work with Microsoft whereby we will build, host and manage Microsoft® Store, an e-commerce store that supports the sale and fulfillment of Microsoft and third party software as well as consumer electronics products to customers in the United States. On March 2, 2011, Digital River began providing e-commerce hosting and payment processing services in connection with Microsoft Store. In addition to Microsoft Store, Digital River maintains its role as a reseller of Microsoft products via Digital River’s existing online stores. Currently, we are providing commerce services, ranging from transaction and payment processing, to e-marketing, digital downloads and fraud prevention in support of some of the popular Microsoft software titles, including Microsoft© Office. The global arrangement incorporates digital fulfillment across multiple geographies, including North America, Asia, Europe, Latin America and Australia.
SOURCE: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1062530/000119312512081540/d265625d10k.htm

DigitalRiverContent.net from which you can download many microsoft products is owned and operated by Digital River Inc.
SOURCE: http://whois.domaintools.com/digitalrivercontent.net
http://whois.domaintools.com/digitalrivercontent.net
They apparently do not now have (if they've ever had), a public facing website that lists their entire content catalog for all of their e-commerce customers but if you happen to know the specific URL like ( http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msoffice/pub/X12-30307/X12-30307.exe ) which you would likely obtain after purchasing said product via an email then you can obtain the necessary installation files for your purchased product by their facility. However these links are all but worthless without the appropriate Product Key which would have also likely have been sent to you via the same or a following email, as they are just a means / method of constructing installation media and the media alone without a product key is worthless.

Last edited:

Digital river haven't gone anywhere, they're just the digital distribution provider for Microsoft. If you buy the download from the MS store that's who supplies the download.

Digital River Inc. Is the parent company that is responsible for software distribution for their customers, one of which is Microsoft (Microsoft Store) via e-commerce hosting. http://www.digitalriver.com/

SOURCE: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1062530/000119312512081540/d265625d10k.htm

DigitalRiverContent.net from which you can download many microsoft products is owned and operated by Digital River Inc.
SOURCE: http://whois.domaintools.com/digitalrivercontent.net
They apparently do not now have (if they've ever had), a public facing website that lists their entire content catalog for all of their e-commerce customers but if you happen to know the specific URL like ( http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msoffice/pub/X12-30307/X12-30307.exe ) which you would likely obtain after purchasing said product via an email then you can obtain the necessary installation files for your purchased product by their facility. However these links are all but worthless without the appropriate Product Key which would have also likely have been sent to you via the same or a following email, as they are just a means / method of constructing installation media and the media alone without a product key is worthless.

Thank you.

Digital river haven't gone anywhere, they're just the digital distribution provider for Microsoft. If you buy the download from the MS store that's who supplies the download.

Just to inform you that I had run into a minor glitch.

I posted a simple "Thank you" reply to Trouble, clicked Post Reply.
Then I came to your post and wanted to do the same... a simple "Thank you" reply.
I got this error message.....
Image%2013.jpg

So I had to wait a bit before I could click the Post Reply button.
I don't know where is the glitch. Your end or mine. Just to let you know. That's all.

Just to inform you that I had run into a minor glitch.

I posted a simple "Thank you" reply to Trouble, clicked Post Reply.
Then I came to your post and wanted to do the same... a simple "Thank you" reply.
I got this error message.....
Image%2013.jpg

So I had to wait a bit before I could click the Post Reply button.
I don't know where is the glitch. Your end or mine. Just to let you know. That's all.
I suspect that, that lag is built in to the new XenForo forum software, perhaps to discourage abuse by someone going nuts with the like system, which is part of the underpinnings for the default award / trophy system in this new software.
Or perhaps in the case of multiple replies by the same member in the same thread, inside a specific time frame to prevent spamming.
Only guessing

It's just a sanity check to make sure you're not blanket spamming. A couple seconds between each post.

Back