Windows 7 Disable Thumbnails on Desktop.

Number5

Has anyone figured out how to disable thumbnail viewing on the Desktop Only .. yet ??
I know how to disable all thumbnail viewing .. But I don’t want to do that.
I can’t see what I’m working with on the desktop.

If you open the Desktop folder in your user and select "always show icons, never thumbnails" from the Organize-folder and search options-view, does that not work?

Interesting approach ...
But that Disables all Thumbnail Browsing .. Known in W7 as Icons
Thumbnails have their place .. But not on the desktop where the real Icons have their advantage.

Hello,

Does anyone know how to do this? I would like to do this on the desktop only in Windows 7 and cannot seem to find a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I've tried to track all the registry changes to see if I could find the ones that disable it on the Desktop only.
There's too many, I've given up .. W7 is soon to be obsolete .. W8 is in the wild now and the beta version is expected soon.
I have a hunch it'll be as unfriendly, if not more.

Has anyone figured out how to disable thumbnail viewing on the Desktop Only .. yet ??

I'd like to see a screen shot of the thumbnails you're referring to, if you could supply one please.

Don

Create "shortcut of shortcut" of your file then send to dekstop.

I tried this to try and understand what you are referring to. The shortcut of the shortcut was identical to the shortcut except for the number "2" in the label. Tell me if this is what you are referring to. As an example, I'll use photos.

On my desktop, I have a large collection of programs, files and folders. Some of the files are photos. These each appear as a thumbnail of that photo. Some of the programs on the desktop have a photo-like icon, as do some of the folders (I assigned photo-like icons to some of the folders). When I look at the desktop, the photo files are not immediately distinguishable from the other photo-like icons; each one is different. My default image viewer (the program associated with photos), has an easily-recognizable icon that is not photo-like. You would prefer that all photos on the desktop show the image viewer's icon, i.e., the generic representation of that type of file, so they are immediately recognizable by file type?

Use Windows Explorer to navigate to your user directory and open the Desktop folder there. From the menus: Tools / Folder Options / View: on the Advanced Settings Window, the 1st check box is "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Select that and click apply. That will eliminate thumbnails on the desktop. If you do not apply the setting to all folders, the desktop will be the only place affected.

Back