Been messing with this problem for 3 solid days with other guys on other help sites. Rran every diagnostic known to man! Nothing! Had been infected with the "zero access" rootkit. Anyways, i took a look at my "Services' program and found that damned thing had shut off most all of my services! Specifically...MS Net Framework GMER ver 2.0 and 4.0. Enabled them both to "automatic" and started them and then rebooted and "voila" my desktop icons and my start menu is back. Took three days of running every damned diagnostic you can imagine! And then found out it was a problem with my "services"! Guess Rogue killer, aswMBR, Combofix, ESET, Hijackthis, Malwarebytes, tdskiller, Stinger, unhide, and a few others have their place but damn people. All the sophisticated programs in the world didn't find this problem. I only found thia by accident. I decided after i'd gotten desperate ta see what was running on this machine. Processes looked o.k. then i went into services and found that most of them were either disabled or had been changed to manual. Not good! Like ta get my hands on the sob who wrote "zero access". think people who write code like that ought ta get at least 20 years without parole. A sick demented bastard who does things like this shouldn't be allowed to live in a civilized society(such as it is)!