Windows Vista Disk clean up issues!

plegue

This is very aggrivating. especially since i usually run disk clean up almost everyday. when i run disk clean up it allows me to choose which partition i would like to clean up. i select the appropriate disk(c) and about half a minute later it shows the small box showing that its calculating the data that can be cleared, it never completes this check. it shows the little dialog box and disappears...doesnt do anything. any ideals?:confused:

A couple of things you could try..

CCleaner - Home Great little app. It's free and does a better job than disk clean.

Run chkdsk. If your unsure how to do this then right-click your HDD and choose properties. Click 'Tools' along the top and then 'check now'. A box will then appear, make sure you tick both boxes as well. This will repair any broken sectors.. See screenshot.

Further reading on how to keep vista/7 clean and working tip top can be found here: TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion The tweakguides companion, although for vista, is still good for 7 because of their similarity..

Try this first, if you want to continue to use the built in feature.
Open the disk cleanup program. In disk cleanup select 2nd tab (More options). Click the "Clean up"button - "You can free ... delete all but most restore points".

I think disk clean up is jamming on compressed files.

This is very aggrivating. especially since i usually run disk clean up almost everyday. when i run disk clean up it allows me to choose which partition i would like to clean up. i select the appropriate disk(c) and about half a minute later it shows the small box showing that its calculating the data that can be cleared, it never completes this check. it shows the little dialog box and disappears...doesnt do anything. any ideals?:confused:
If you want to give your machine a more thorough clean then open command prompt.
Type: cleanmgr/sageset:1
then hit enter and the disk clean box will appear. You'll notice that there is many more boxes to tick..Tick them all and hit ok.
Back to command prompt and type:
cleanmgr/sagerun:1
This will then run through cleaning the stuff you've ticked. Now this is set up, you can run it by typing in the bottom line whenever you feel you need to...

I agree with Kemical using CCleaner.

I used Disk Cleanup one time and even thiugh some items were uncheckedd, it wiped out some of my important files:mad:.

I will never use Disk Cleaner again.

Nice command-line option Kemical, that's a new one to me.:)

It's been around a while now:
How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP

But I have expressed my views about using the command prompt before. If it cannot be done via the user interface, I always prefer to be cautious in advsing deeper methods to the unwary. With the sagerun handle, you can most definitely remove files which can still be of use, or even in use.

Last edited:
If CCleaner is not sufficient I will recommend (this is not an endorsement), Ace Utilities, which has an entire suite of options to delete duplicate files, actually defrag the registry itself, and when combined with CCleaner it does a good job of eliminating registry problems. If you can't afford it try the full featured trial and then uninstall it when you are done.

If CCleaner is not sufficient I will recommend (this is not an endorsement), Ace Utilities, which has an entire suite of options to delete duplicate files, actually defrag the registry itself, and when combined with CCleaner it does a good job of eliminating registry problems. If you can't afford it try the full featured trial and then uninstall it when you are done.

Deleting DUPLICATE files is EXTREMLY dangerous. I know... don't ask me how I know.. I just know.

If you upgrade from Vista you will have over 1000 duplicated files. I have proven to my satisfaction that duplicat file deleters do not have any idea about which files to keep. If you follow their recommendations. You will be reinstalling Windows 7.

But hey, have some fun, break it and then fix it... you'll probably learn something.

I am assuming that the author of this thread knows something of what he is doing - and this is simply one feature of the software that uses cryptography to find exact duplicate files on the HD. It may break software, of course, but I assume that the author knows the risks and the software is a good all-in-one if you need to do a professional level of maintenance on the system.

IE 8 has an option to clean up all your temporary files at exit. Media player has options to keep NO history.

There is an option in the True Image software called Try&Decide. This feature
allows creating a secure, controlled temporary workspace on your computer
without requiring you to install special virtualization software. You can
perform various system operations without worrying that you might damage your
operating system, programs or data. After making virtual changes you may apply
them to your original system if you want to make them permanent.

Last edited:
The IE 8 options to clear up temp files do not complete the task 100%.
That is, using both options
1. General - Browsing history (even after modyfying the settings)
2.Advanced - Empty Temporary Internet folder when browser is closed.

If you doubt this try the options and then look here:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
It can even leave selected "leftovers" in the Temporary Internet directory.

I have, in the course of testing, found that, of all the ones I have tried (I,ll bet there are scores out there I have missed - lol) None have yet been reprogrammed to take care of the new folder navigation in Windows 7 (or Vista, for that matter.)
The only personal preference I have, which also has black holes, but does the best job, is Advanced Systems Care.(As Mike says about Ccleaner - this is not an endorsement)
I hasten to say that this is with my installation. We are individually into our own customisation, and it is apparent that what works for some does not always seem to apply across the board.
In spite of comments I have read so many times in forums, I have not yet had any unplanned disasters from using Ccleaner or Advanced System Care, although I invariably go for the defaults initially.
BUT, I wholeheartedly support Tblount in the issue of duplicate file deletion. Since Vista, Windows has had the "Junction folder" feature. This leads into a rather complicated duplicate file system. For the layman to delete some of these, with or without the help of a cleaner, can lead very quickly into a reinstall.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion!!!

Last edited:
The IE 8 options to clear up temp files do not complete the task 100%.
That is, using both options
1. General - Browsing history (even after modyfying the settings)

2.Advanced - Empty Temporary Internet folder when browser is closed.

If you doubt this try the options and then look here:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
It can even leave selected "leftovers" in the Temporary Internet directory.
[\quote]

Yes.. I see... I had run cclean .. the new version 2.24 today and I see files there dated last month. I supose they consider any information in a user's account folders as protected from other users with less than admin privileges.

I guess the option to delete history doesn't work either.

Deleting DUPLICATE files is EXTREMLY dangerous. I know... don't ask me how I know.. I just know

I disagree with that

Try a search on your hard drive for msv*. I came up with 186 files.

I only delete the duplicate files if there is a file with thse a the same name and file size name in the c:\windows\systwm32 dirctory.

If thjey are in the Program Files directy and are a differewnt size, I leave these a;lone as they might have routines or functions that the one in the c:\windows\system32 directory.

I've been doing this for years with no trouble.

I do the same , Reghakr, but remember, every member of the forum can read and apply! My post quote "For the layman to delete some of these, with or without the help of a cleaner, can lead very quickly into a reinstall.
"

Back