Disk dump problem.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Kash2Smash, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Kash2Smash

Kash2Smash Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

recently my desktop which has XP installed in it is not working properly. i hadnt switched it on for some 1-1.5 months as i was moving to a new country.

the desktop is running on Pentium III. It switches on, and then after loading the desktop (start menu, icons), it switches to a blue screen and says something about 'disk dump' and 'nv4_disp' problem.

is there any solution to this problem? thank you guys as this is really urgent.

2. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

3. Kash2Smash

okay, i just checked it again and it says beginning physical memory dump. do i repeat the action you told me still?

4. Kash2Smash

the problem is just getting worse, my keyboard isnt working so i do press F8 but it just doesnt go to the safe mode.

5. cybercore

cybercore New Member

This could be your keyboard problem, try with another keyboard if this is the case. Once you can get to windows desktop in safe mode, check C:\Windows\Minidump for crash dumps - attach here.

* Some multimedia keyboards have a switch function button that blocks F-keys.

6. Kash2Smash

thanks guys.
    this computer is like 8 years old and the keyboard is like a normal one.unfortunately i am new to this country and dont have a spare keyboard but a laptop/

7. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

Boot to safe mode + networking. Then visit the laptop manufacturer's website for your model. Download the latest vga (video) driver for XP and install.

Reboot to normal mode and test.

8. Kash2Smash

thanks torrentg, but no use as my dektop's keyboard doesnt work, i press F8 and reach to that screen but as i cant go upto safe mode+networking, it starts normally

9. Kash2Smash

the BSOD is still frequent and i cant log in... it says that the problem is nv4_disp.

i can reach the safe mode but still i cant find a solution

here is the link to a zip folder of the files in my minidump which i got throught the safe mode: Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

i even tried to download the NVIDIA thingy that gtorrent told me bout but the comp says that the hardware is not compatible and i dont have internet on that comp..

it would be nice if there is another solutions to this annoying problem.4

thanks

10. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

Apologies, I thought from your 3rd latest post above, this was a laptop.

This machine has quite a few issues. Namely:

1) It is only SP2. It seriously needs SP3 installed.

2) It has Norton/Symantec and AVG. I'm a fan of neither but you really can't have both installed at the same time like that.

3) Boot to safe mode + networking. Download and install the video driver for your card from here and install:

NVIDIA

11. Kash2Smash

No need to apologize dude. So basically, i un-install one of AVG or North. and how can i install SP3? directly from the internet?

12. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned