Display Auto-Detect?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by Heaven or Hell, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Heaven or Hell

Heaven or Hell New Member

I'm getting a new LCD display for my Windows XP machine.

I right-click the desktop and go to settings to see the available resolutions, but does the list I see depend on what monitor the computer is hooked to, or is the list of the computer's specifically? Like if I hooked up to a different monitor, will the choices be different, or would I still have the same resolutions to choose from?

Also if the right resolution isn't there to choose, does a monitor just automatically set the resolution straight? The new monitor is a 16:9 Dell LCD monitor on a Dell desktop computer with Windows XP, and this computer originally came with a 4:3 LCD monitor.

2. nmsuk

nmsuk Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Simple answer is yes

No

If you have your new monitor and the resolutions for it are wrong, uninstall you video adapter reboot and then reintall wit the latest drivers.

HTH

3. Heaven or Hell

I went to see the drivers for the service tag of the computer I'm hooking the monitor to on Dell's site, but none of the video drivers dealt with resolutions...there was just one and it was a patch fix for bug issues regarding a program.

4. nmsuk

nmsuk Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

The video drivers do deal with the resolutions. If you uninstall your current video drivers download the latest from Dell, then install them. Rebooting at the end.

The monitor tells the vid card using edid what resolutions it can handle and then the video card sends the monitor the correct format for the resolution.

#4 nmsuk, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Digerati

Digerati Fantastic Member
    Microsoft MVP

Understand that monitors do NOT use or need special drivers. This is because the operating system does not communicate with the monitor, it communicates with the graphics solution (card or integrated). All computer monitors are Plug and Play. It is up to the card to handshake and setup the communications.

Monitor drivers are not real drivers in the true sense at all. All a monitor driver does is put the model name in Device Manager and the Display Control Panel applet, and it REMOVES unsupported resolutions from the list of supported resolutions. If you look under advanced settings, you will see a check box to display or hide modes that monitor does not support.

#5 Digerati, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Hey "Heaven or Hell", when are you going to make the jump to Windows 7 OS? Support for XP is comming to an end soon.

7. Digerati

Digerati Fantastic Member
    Microsoft MVP

As is the availability of legacy based hardware to run it on.

8. Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone U.S.Navy D.A.V.

Yes, but not until 2014, if you're running SP3
    We still have a few good years left.

Don

9. Heaven or Hell

Hi bassfisher. This is a computer I use "just in case" my normal one (one I care more about and has Windows 7) isn't working for some reason, and this (XP computer) I also use for school as opposed to my other computer which is mainly for entertainment.

Two other things, I doubt this computer could handle Windows 7 on it (especially since it's a 64 bit OS disc) and some programs won't run on 7 but will run on XP, like Musicmatch Jukebox (love that music player).