Display settings "randomly" change

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on an ASUS 501j laptop with an intel pentium dual core processor. I bought the laptop just over a week ago, and it had a clean install of Windows 7.

Every now and then (I haven't worked out a pattern yet), my background will disappear and be replaced with a generic white ASUS background. Under the personalize section of the control panel, it says it's running a new Unsaved Theme instead of my saved theme that I had it set to.

My laptop mouse has been randomly disabled twice.

Also, I despise the AutoHide function of the taskbar, so I always turn it off. But (again, seemingly randomly) the taskbar switches to AutoHide, with the button clicked.

The only time I noticed a distinct cause-effect for one of these problems was once when I was rebooting. The background was there, but the taskbar was gone. The only thing I did after logging in was to change the taskbar settings to unclick the AutoHide box. The background disappeared.

I'm running security software, and my last scan was clean, so I don't think it's a virus. Does anyone have any idea what's the problem here?

Thanks.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Is this computer new with Win 7 installed at the factory?

I have seen some things change if you are running programs that are not compatible with the Aero Function of Windows, usually older ones.

If this is not a new computer, and someone else installed Win 7, you might want to think about a repair install, or at least opening an administrative command window and type:

SFC /scannow

This should check your system files and replace any that might be corrupted.

My laptop was bought from a major online electronics seller, but it was bought refurbished. I assume that still means a factory install, but just in case I ran SFC. No problems.

I can only think of two programs that might have compatability issues. One is an old game (came out in 2003-ish) and the other would be my imported profile settings for Firefox. Both had been running for a few days before the problems popped up. I can certainly uninstall the game and see if that helps.

Thank you for your reply. Let me know if you think of anything else!

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.