Windows 7 DNS time-out warnings

borate

Not critical, but what is the fix for these oft-seen event viewer warnings?

Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain.actdsltmp timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Or...
Name resolution for the name isatap.domain.actdsltmp timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

How often do you get these messages? Is it something that shows up when you start the system up only or during the time the connection is already made?

The message appeared each time the system established contact with the network - at boot, for instance. The issue has been solved, but I saw no means of marking it as such here. Thanks for checking in.

The ISP suggested inserting their domain name into the "DNS suffix for this connection" box, accessed on Local Network IPv4 and IPv6 PROPERTIES sheets under the ADVANCED button|DNS tab. Tested by the ISP, the warning was seen only when using an Actiontec router. After their fix was made, it ceased to appear and IPCONFIG listed the ISP domain name instead of the earlier actdsltmp.

Last edited:
OK, sounds good, but because of my inexperience in this area, could you check your router for what it is showing for an option?

On my Belkin, under WAN settings, DNS, there is a checkbox for "Automatic from ISP" and the DNS primary and secondary addresses are listed. Does your router have that type of information and show about the same thing?

The corollary to what you see may be the choice of STATIC or DYNAMIC DNS.
In my case the PPoA circuit uses dynamic routing and does not list DNS addresses.

Last edited:
Back