Does Anyone know how to remove the Windows Old File?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I want to remove the Windows.old file.
I want to get rid of it before I make my System Image of the C:\ drive.
It's 27.4 Gigabytes, and I'd like to not have to back it up.

I don't need it, I have a System Image of the old drive already.
I used to do it with Cleaner, but it doesn't show it as a removable folder anymore.

My only other option would be to log in with Linux and try that.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
I can't find any built in System Cleanup Utility. I've run searches for it and nothing comes up.
How do I get there?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Never mind, I found it by running disk cleanup. It's removing it as I type this.
Thanks for the help.

PS...
That worked, I had 100 gigabytes of free space before updating, and I have 95 now.

Last edited:

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Neemobeer's instruction is on the target. It is important to select the "system" option. I have read that it goes away after a couple or so days. I'm impatient - it's always the first thing I remove.

Last edited:

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Hi once more...

So far I'm really happy with Windows 11, I'm seeing a real improvement in performance even in games.
I spent the last two-days getting rid of everything I didn't need but had installed at some point. It's amazing how much junk you can accumulate. I use Revo Uninstaller, so it scans and get rind of the stuff that a normal de-installation leaves behind.

I'm making my first Windows 11, System Image right now as I type this. It says there are 2.5 minutes to go, that's really fast, about 10 minutes for the whole process. That means that if my system crashes I can be back up and running in under 15 minutes.

As most of you probably know, I've been trying to get everyone to make System Image Files, for years. I push it on forums all over the place from Quora to right here.

If everyone did that, we could put a lot of computer repair places out of business. Short of mechanical failure You can fix your computer in a matter of minutes no matter what's wrong. I haven't had to spend more than a half hour fixing my PC in years.

The secret is, don't put anything on your C:\ partition except Windows and a few associated programs. There's no sense backing up all your data.

The image is all done, now I feel safe messing with everything.

Good luck with your upgrades' everyone and make that System Image before you start!

Mike

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
The secret is, don't put anything on your C:\ partition except Windows and a few associated programs. There's no sense backing up all your data.
Not a bad idea to do both. Like many, I use Macrium. I normally make a clean image - basic customing but no extra apps. From then on, I keep images as I go along. I always keep the last two, including the initial.