Does Free Speach Have A Future ?

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Sometimes we totally disagree with someones point of view . We are indeed disgusted by that point of view. So should we sensor every word that is spoken ?
The man on Facebook who called , Dale Cregan a hero . He has been arrested over the actions he took .
Just interested in the diveerse reactions that may occur. I and most like minded people do not agree with his statements concerning , Dale Cregan .
Should we defend a persons right to say such things ?
Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Stammer has also called for social networking to be scrutinised.

He said: "The time has come for an informed debate about the boundaries of free speech in an age of social media."
Read more at Facebook troll arrested over Dale Cregan hero page > National News > News | Click Manchester :confused:

Free speech must be protected at all cost, without reservation or equivocation.
Knowing at the same time there are exceptions to free speech. Shouting "FIRE" in a crowded auditorium is one such exception.
The totality of the circumstances must be examined and considered. Maliciously throwing a lighted match onto an already volatile situation is not conducive to nor in the interest of public safety. As we have recently witnessed in the Middle East resulting "allegedly" from the stupid "Innocence Of Muslims" video.
I suspect that people who do these types of things have some type of underlying psychopathy and probably want and need the attention even if it's negative. They have the right to be stupid, they have the right to remain stupid but the rest of us also have the right and possibly even the obligation to call them on it, especially if their actions are likely to produce results that are detrimental to the public welfare.
Should he have been arrested? I will have to say no. If we start arresting @$$h0les for simply being themselves we would be left with no time nor space to address real crime.
You address "bad speech" with "good speech", both are still free, although I wonder for how much longer.

Back