Windows 7 Downgrade to genuine?

sheitmar

Hi everyone,

So today I logged into my computer to find that my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 has been deemed "not genuine". I was scammed by buying what I thought was a legit copy of Windows off ebay, for considerably less than what it was selling retail. Yes, I was greedy, no I don't need the "I told you so." lol..

So anyway, after having the "!@#$%" moment, and looking at actual retail prices of Ultimate (followed by another !@#$% moment) compared to Home Premium, I've decided that for what I use this thing for, Ultimate is actually quite overkill and not necessary.

What I'm wondering is if I can purchase a copy of Home Premium off the shelf and under System in the control panel just swap the product key? Would that work? I'm really trying to find a way to do this without having to reinstall the whole thing, which from what I've heard can be somewhat tricky. Not really sure I want to get into registry hacking to pull it off.

On second thought, will I have any problems since I'm running 64bit Windows 7? I know not all versions came with it.

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

Sean

Back
Top Bottom