Windows 10 Downloading 10240...

Same here.
On both my Fast Ring and Slow Ring machines.
Interesting as this was just announced as the likely RTM build.

I can confirm, reliably, that Windows 10 Build 10240 is the release to manufacturing build that was sent to computer manufacturers.

Here is important information regarding the Install.esd file for this build:

Windows 10 RTM Build 10240
Code:
MD5:      0ea69e936d3adae083cab94083d0614f
SHA1:     5c7a8fd5900774a731520d7de414e466b0879647
CRC32:    0438a212
SHA-256:  36ff3d026f6360761845c21a042b804b9b2a1f2ce9bb3de1916837fa2ac5bbf0
SHA-512:  05cd07af9b165acf7275d4a484e7c69c7dc6f9d86a09024c8a6624fc5486c33fa4591821b06b7ced53fa74fa3ed55ff7af11be32328e1da0cbd9c3b3adc85776
SHA-384:  cad3f8741b1a892072a5f49befd052eb707b49bc3f9134c7da6d1e125bf87dced9fed7abf4f2ec567c928fa0f2864762
Created Time: 7/2/2015 2:03:10 PM
Filename: Install.esd
Filesize: 2,812,209,364 bytes
US English 64-bit

This file is authentic from Microsoft and can be used to make ISO files. You can use a tool like HashMyFiles to check this information. Unlike ISO files generated from the ESD, this file will always remain the same.

Last edited:
Hooray.
No watermark.
ISOs produced from the latest ESD will likely require a product key for a clean install, as it has been suggested that previously published public keys will not work to activate this version.

And already an update KB3074663
And no expiration date?

NoExpire.JPG

Last edited:
Since there is no pid.txt file on the .iso, we may be back in the same situation as with 10147 where after installing as an upgrade, you can then install as clean... Maybe someone will try that ... :worship:

ASUS now has Windows 10 drivers available for my X99-Pro Motherboard.... Looks like I may not have to look at the 50 unknown devices any longer.

At this point, @kemical and I have confirmed that all pre-release keys have been revoked and therefore you must have a Windows Genuine License key to activate the software. Not much can be done about that. Therefore, unless Microsoft releases a genuine license key for the clean install, there can be no leaking of keys on this website (and we don't have any for the clean install either).

active_zps9kwbkx7o.png
I am running the new build and it is activated but so far as an upgrade :up:
whoosh_zpsbpicwldm.png

Last edited:
I really hate trying to decipher the ins and outs of Licensing, so perhaps someone could straighten me out.

Let's discuss three possible situations and let me know if I am incorrect on one or more in my conclusion.

First case. A non-Insider upgrading to Windows 10 on or after July 29th from a valid prior OS. Microsoft says once the upgrade is complete, that machine is marked as being Windows 10 legal and clean installs in the future can be done without license issues, as long as you are signed into a Microsoft account.

Second Case. An Insider uses 10240 to upgrade a licensed install of 8.1. That install will be handled the same as the first. If the Insider decides to leave the Insider program, will that Windows 10 license be invalidated, I think not.

Third Case... An Insider updates an activated Preview build using 10240. That machine will also be marked as the first two, but in this case, if the Insider decides to leave the program, that Windows 10 License will probably be invalidated...

These are my thoughts as how the system would be set up, logically.. Microsoft may have other intentions.

I really hate trying to decipher the ins and outs of Licensing, so perhaps someone could straighten me out.

I am quite sure everyone interested in Windows 10 on the entire planet is, now, basically confused about this. Here is what I am seeing definitively:

If you are part of the Windows Insider Program, your virtual machine or your PC continues to be part of this licensing schema. You are expected to upgrade Windows and only use "Refresh" as your clean install method at this time. This could be because they are either continuing to update the upgrade process for Windows 7 and Windows 8 until July 29th, or because they are a large corporation that wants limitless power (I jest, I jest...).

Next, if you were outside of the Windows Insider Program, it is too late to join. The only way to get Windows 10, is again, unless Microsoft releases hard copy ISOs and sends you a license key on July 29th OR you go through the upgrade process automatically on or after July 29th.

As far as anything else, including licensing, I have no idea. The only thing I can say with absolute certainty is that:

You cannot activate a clean install ISO of the RTM with any Windows Insider Program keys and Microsoft appears to have gone back to using genuine license keys.

They do intend to sell the operating system after one year's time, so yes, "Thanks for testing! See ya later!" is what has gone on today.

I have tried all but this last build and had left the insider program. I can't explain it but I was feeling uncomfortable with the insider program. It just didn't feel as if that was the way to get Win 10 for free. I just feel that when all is said and done those in the insider program will not get a fair shake.

As far as anything else, including licensing, I have no idea. The only thing I can say with absolute certainty is that:

You cannot activate a clean install ISO of the RTM with any Windows Insider Program keys and Microsoft appears to have gone back to using genuine license keys.
I believe, you will be able to activate a Clean Install using the .iso anytime after you have done an upgrade install while being on a Microsoft Account. The licensing information for that particular hardware configuration will be kept online.... This is what we did with 10147, which was not an fbl_impressive build.

Edit: As you may be suggesting, Microsoft may have not yet enabled the licensing system. If that was the case, waiting until after the 29th might yield different results.

They do intend to sell the operating system after one year's time, so yes, "Thanks for testing! See ya later!" is what has gone on today.
I agree after the first year changes will probably be made. I just don't think Microsoft has a definite plan until they have time to evaluate the cash flow opportunities of Windows 10.

Anyway, time and testing may give us a definite answer.

Last edited:
Next, if you were outside of the Windows Insider Program, it is too late to join.
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/621200418899562497
Although it is not clear as to whether you would have to wait until after the 29th for a new registration.
You cannot activate a clean install ISO of the RTM with any Windows Insider Program keys
True enough but after you upgrade you'll find that your "key" has changed.
I just did a wipe and clean install using that key and it has activated fine.
Not sure if I was just lucky or if it just worked as they've been indicating that it would or should.
I'm not recommending anyone try this but if you have a good system image ( I did one prior to the upgrade and then another immediately following the upgrade before attempting), I wouldn't mind hearing what your results might have been.

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/621200418899562497
Although it is not clear as to whether you would have to wait until after the 29th for a new registration.

Not sure if I was just lucky or if it just worked as they've been indicating that it would or should.
I'm not recommending anyone try this but if you have a good system image ( I did one prior to the upgrade and then another immediately following the upgrade before attempting), I wouldn't mind hearing what your results might have been.
Just saw it come up.
I just got it about a hour ago. I've got it on a 2nd ssd, so I just did the upgrade. Glad to see the watermark gone. Only thing's I had to redo were my registry tweak's and rerun the setup.exe for Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and let it repair itself, so it worked.

I noticed this as well. @kemical did the upgrade and never came back. May he rest in peace, unless we hear from him again.
If that is the case, this is getting somewhat complicated, but if it works, go for it.
I wouldn't mind hearing what your results might have been.
I did the upgrade on my virtual machine. I refuse to do a clean install on this system because I have too many important files to dick around with right now, quite frankly. I performed an upgrade of build 10162 a few days ago, and ESET Smart Security put my system into an infinite BSOD on boot up. When I finally got that taken care of, I ended up "refreshing" the machine, only to find that I was more annoyed than ever with Windows 10. After that, I decided to wait for the RTM. But now, I'll wait for July 29th, and even then, I may "defer" my upgrade. Not because I forgot to uninstall my anti-virus, but mostly because I find this upgrade to be... annoying. P.S. Never backup to the Acronis Cloud and restore unless you want to wait several days for this process to take place.

Last edited:
Back