Windows 10 Downloading 10240...

I have tried all but this last build and had left the insider program. I can't explain it but I was feeling uncomfortable with the insider program. It just didn't feel as if that was the way to get Win 10 for free. I just feel that when all is said and done those in the insider program will not get a fair shake.
Sonny, you may be the smartest one among us. Some _____ over at the Microsoft site has just stated 10240 will not be the Public release on July 29th, the day they are supposed to give the final release to the Insiders only. Since I am really not testing anything, since the RTM has already been sent out, I am glad I did not install this build on my expensive touch screen system....

Mark me very disappointed in Microsoft .... Again...

I can confirm, reliably, that Windows 10 Build 10240 is the release to manufacturing build that was sent to computer manufacturers.

You sure Mike?

I understood this was a RTM candidate??? Possibly another to come via updates, yet??

Ok. Only an academic problem, but, for interest, I was reading this before I downloaded

http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...40-goes-live-but-rtm-release-remains-elusive/

Where it says:

"Microsoft has not declared that this release is the RTM (release to manufacturing) version"
This is certainly not a traditional release process, as we have seen in the past, so if and when they sent bits to OEM, we will not know. It is evident that this build is now locked down, indicating some release went to an official manufacturing channel. It looks like they want to stage all future operating system updates from Windows Update, which could even include a release date update on or after July 29. While we have every reason to believe this was sent to manufacturers, there is always the remote possibility we are off. I also do not expect the July 29th build to be the same bits as Build 10240. This may very well mean if you buy a Windows 10 computer on July 29th, it may very well get a kernel update the same day.

There is much confusion about how exactly to activate in the case of a clean install , etc. Across the board everybody has a theory and I am still confused :rolleyes:*-)

Mike,kemical or Trouble : In 2 or 3 month's I'm going to be getting a bigger Samsung 850 Pro 512gb. ssd to replace the 840 Pro 256 gb. one I have 10 on.I think if I can, I'm foregoing the Insider part and install 7 Professional on the 850 Pro and then upgrade it to 10 Pro. Could either of you walk me through the 7 install in my Sabertooth 990FX R2.0's 2501 uefi ? I'm hoping 7 can be done as esd, so 10 will be esd install so secure boot work's in it. Then afterwards, I'll do the clean install of 10 Pro.
I'm going to be keeping 8.1 Pro w/MC on my Intel 530 480 gb. ssd and continue the 8.1/10 dual-boot.
Then sometime after new year's, if I can find a Intel Z97/1150 based mobo that supports x16 speed sli in 2 slot's, I'll be ditching AMD and getting a 1150 mobo and a i5 4790 cpu. I heard the i5 4690 is currently better, but the i5 4790 support's hyper-threading and is a little more future proof for upcoming games.

Mike,kemical or Trouble : In 2 or 3 month's I'm going to be getting a bigger Samsung 850 Pro 512gb. ssd to replace the 840 Pro 256 gb. one I have 10 on.I think if I can, I'm foregoing the Insider part and install 7 Professional on the 850 Pro and then upgrade it to 10 Pro. Could either of you walk me through the 7 install in my Sabertooth 990FX R2.0's 2501 uefi ? I'm hoping 7 can be done as esd, so 10 will be esd install so secure boot work's in it. Then afterwards, I'll do the clean install of 10 Pro.
I'm going to be keeping 8.1 Pro w/MC on my Intel 530 480 gb. ssd and continue the 8.1/10 dual-boot.
Then sometime after new year's, if I can find a Intel Z97/1150 based mobo that supports x16 speed sli in 2 slot's, I'll be ditching AMD and getting a 1150 mobo and a i5 4790 cpu. I heard the i5 4690 is currently better, but the i5 4790 support's hyper-threading and is a little more future proof for upcoming games.
We are preparing to launch multiple Windows 10 forum areas including an upgrade/migration forum and I will make certain that you receive some level of assistance in this matter. Please keep requests for assistance to a minimum, in this thread, however, until we know what is going on with this upgrade, which seems to be causing a monstrous level of frustration for some users. As Microsoft Windows OSG said, they're getting ready to "upgrade the entire world" to Windows 10 on July 29th, so this should be a great time to launch our support section, because I suspect all hell is about to break loose. Thank you!

I have only done upgrades since the ISO install in October 2014, and the only issue I have had is the 2 upgrades where I had to shutdown the update and restart to get them to load. They both did install perfectly and run fine.
I have been running in VMBox so I hope this will transition over when I update 7 to 10.
I have not fond any problems on any of the builds except where they broke something, I wonder if they may done some of that on purpose to insure they were getting accurate feedback.

Patiently waiting to do the 7 to 10 upgrade. If all goes well will only create an ISO for backup. I have not done clean install since XP they have only been upgrades. I have rebuilt twice and only did reboot and load of the new MB drivers without any problems. Scary!
The last one I did was new CPU, MB memory, GPU, PS, and SSD and it went fine.
Yes I know it's like playing with a loaded gun with only one bullet, but since it's no big deal for me to do a clean install, why not?.

Just a small question in between, I see it as 'TH1 Professional 10240'.
Where does 'TH1' stand for?

Henk

Last edited:
We are preparing to launch multiple Windows 10 forum areas including an upgrade/migration forum and I will make certain that you receive some level of assistance in this matter. Please keep requests for assistance to a minimum, in this thread, however, until we know what is going on with this upgrade, which seems to be causing a monstrous level of frustration for some users. As Microsoft Windows OSG said, they're getting ready to "upgrade the entire world" to Windows 10 on July 29th, so this should be a great time to launch our support section, because I suspect all hell is about to break loose. Thank you!
OK, I figured on that one.

Hi

Could they make this any more confusing?

Why not just let you enter any valid Windows Key (Windows 7 or later) that you have already registered with them and let you validate the upgrade?

I don't see this letting anyone in that wouldn't be eligible anyway?

Mike

Hi

Could they make this any more confusing?

Why not just let you enter any valid Windows Key (Windows 7 or later) that you have already registered with them and let you validate the upgrade?

I don't see this letting anyone in that wouldn't be eligible anyway?

Mike
Confusing, yes.
I always thought to be the process of validating your microsoft account you are using for log-in. You reply with a code they send you thru a separate channel (i.e. SMS). That makes it a bit more sure that it is you and not some fool that has stolen your account. After receiving back the key, they unlock passwords which are saved for your account. And that makes sense.

But validating also seems to mean using a genuine Windows key.

Henk

Last edited:
It is possible to have windows validated with a key which does not belong to you - have a look at some of the "pirate" pages. Maybe MS are trying to eliminate this hole.
And. of course, maybe not quite relevant, having an MS account does not, by any stretch, mean you automatically have a genuine key. Just my own opinion.

Hi

Microsoft should be good with computers. LOL

They ought to be able to verify that my registered Serial Number belongs to my Microsoft Account and that the Email and Password match?

If they want me to reply to a confirmation mail message fine.

As far as that goes I assume that they can see that my computer profile matches my previous Windows 8 install!

It's not like They Aren't Giving This Away for Free!!!!

A few people slipping through (getting something they are giving away) isn't worth annoying all their loyal insiders who did them a favor by testing all this stuff.

I can always reinstall Windows 8 and then upgrade, (I have a real Windows 8 DVD) but I'd really like to do a clean install on a new partition with no holdovers.

Something is moving from update to update, that is where my glitches are coming from.

Mike

After one year they would need to invalidate Windows 7/Windows 8 product keys and differentiate them from new ones. Because a year from now, they will still sell Windows 7, 8, and 10, but Windows 10 will no longer be free. So those keys which once should have worked need to be blacklisted. Here is something else: when you upgrade now, in the insider program, it looks like you're being issued a new key without realising it. While, sure, devices are registered on your Microsoft account, plenty of people still use Windows for offline use, and a Microsoft account user may not always own that device; a business or organization may.

Hi

It just seems to me that if they can handle millions people upgrading their computers from both Windows 7 and 8 and manage to let them use their old or issue new registration numbers, then they ought to be able to do that for people in the insider program who have a serial number and don't want to go the update path.

I don't think that doing the reset is equivalent to a fresh install but I'll find out when the final version comes out.

I've had the same glitches through several updates, if they are still there in the final version, I'll do reset and see if they go away.

My main problem is that I'd really like to move the install to a new partition and I don't know how I'd do that without installing from media.

Mike

Back