Windows 7 Downloading Issues

jifa202

I have a sony vaio with windows 7 already installed.

I have a linksys wireless router

My problem is that my internet keeps timing out, especially when I am attempting to download large files. I did not have this problem on my old computer and not any of the computers on the network have this problem. Once and a while I will be able to download a file completely.

Any Suggestions to fix this problem or why this might be accruing?

Please, to the best of your ability, fill out your system specs, use the "User CP" link at the top of this forum or thread. Without a model number for your machine, which version of Win 7, and whether it's 32bit or 64bit and some information about your network adapter, I can only suggest that you check and confirm you have the latest drivers (preferably from the adapter manufacturer's website) for your network adapter, the latest firmware for your router and perhaps attempting to connect your laptop directly to your router with a Cat5 ethernet cable, to temporarily take the wireless device out of the equation. I'm sure we can possibly help you with this issue but we're going to need some more info.

Last edited:
In the meantime, go to Stat > Run, and type cmd. Now type ping google.con.

My average is about 45ms,. what is yours?

Now type ipconfig /all and post the contents here for us to look over.

Could you say
1. Which anti virus program you are using.
2. Are these straight downloads, or are you using a thrid party download program and
3. If it is not too private, are the problems with a specific download site, or is it general.

Im using avast anit virus, i was using norton, but the trail expired

These are straight downloads, from sites the megashares or zshare, usershare, my brothers is in a band and he sends me videos etc, of his band playing. I have tried using flashget and had trouble even downloading the program. Once and a while the download will fully complete.

yeah i used the uninstall tool

I think what reghkr is trying to ask is did you use this tool to uninstall NortonsLink Removed - Invalid URL be sure and read the warning. You posted your model number for the Vaio and Linksys, but nothing for your network adapter. I noted that you still haven't filled out your system specs, did you do anything else I asked in my earlier reply "check and confirm you have the latest drivers (preferably from the adapter manufacturer's website) for your network adapter, the latest firmware for your router and perhaps attempting to connect your laptop directly to your router with a Cat5 ethernet cable, to temporarily take the wireless device out of the equation." We all want to help you so help us help

Network Adapter - Microsoft ISATAP

Adapter Type - Tunnel

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 DUO CPU

System Type - x64 - based pc

System Directory - C:\WINDOWS\system 32

I have tried to go to the linksys website to see what I should download, but cant figure out how and what hardware/firmware to download

Does this look like the correect model:

Linksys BEFW11S4 EtherFast Wireless Router

Author: Tim Higgins
Review Date: 3/11/2001

befw11s4.gif

Model: BEFW11S4

If so,. visit this page and update the firmware:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

that is the correct model, however the page you directed me to, is not working it says that the links are not available

RegHakr's link worked for me and there is some good information on that page pertaining to your BEFW11S4. It says that the device only supports "Only 40/64 bit WEP" some users have reported problems with Win7 and WEP, it also says "Enabling WEP degrades throughput by about 50%" so are you using wireless encryption and if so have you tried turning it off for testing purposes.
Nice link Reghakr

Back