Windows 7 Downloading problem

desk

I have searched the forum but I have not found an answer to my particular problem, so forgive me if I have repeated a relevent thread.
Whenever I attempt to download eg a driver I get the download window and it begins to download for a while then it stops.........it does not freeze because the animated graphic is still working, eventually it announces a time-out.
I can go through the exercise again and it will stall at a different point. There is the odd time when it will download completely. I have never witnessed this with XP or Vista except for bandwidth. Also I think I have problems with video streaming now, BBC iplayer is not as good as it used to be........I was blaming the BBC, now I'm wonderng if there is a tie between the two problems. My average bandwidth is 8 Mbps

Can anyone please help me on this?

I have searched the forum but I have not found an answer to my particular problem, so forgive me if I have repeated a relevent thread.
Whenever I attempt to download eg a driver I get the download window and it begins to download for a while then it stops.........it does not freeze because the animated graphic is still working, eventually it announces a time-out.
I can go through the exercise again and it will stall at a different point. There is the odd time when it will download completely. I have never witnessed this with XP or Vista except for bandwidth. Also I think I have problems with video streaming now, BBC iplayer is not as good as it used to be........I was blaming the BBC, now I'm wonderng if there is a tie between the two problems. My average bandwidth is 8 Mbps

Can anyone please help me on this?

Does it happen like this with ANYTHING you try to download ?

Is your browser fast when loading different pages?

Go to Start > Run, and type cmd. Now type ping google.com

You should get replies in the 45ms range.

What are you getting?

It did happen with everything I downloaded...............but I "think" I've cured it. Time will tell.
About the same time I installed W7 my router failed and I was given a replacement. Through my new router today I realised there was a firmware update.......it now seems to be working correctly, I'll keep you informed.
Thanks for your help.

No, it hasn't helped........downloads are still a problem.
In fact it is the same on my laptop which has both XP and W7.
The browser works fine otherwise.
Does it point to the router, do you think?

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!
I've disabled the firewall in my Belkin router.
Easy when you know how.
SOLVED!!!

Thank you for your help

Back