Windows 7 Downloads often corrupt after installing Windows 7

RTomsett

Hi all,

I installed Windows 7 Home Premium today (fresh install on formatted hard disk) and am downloading some programs I used previously with Vista. I'm getting a hell of a lot of corrupted downloads though - Adobe Reader gives a checksum error when I try to extract it, Toontrack EZDrummer (which uses an Aladdin self-extracting archive) gives a CRC mismatch error when I try to extract it, the nVidia graphics drivers had some 7zip error when I tried to extract them (fortunately got a working download from somewhere else for those) also got a 7zip error trying to install Avast! antivirus. Some other downloads work fine. This happens when downloading with IE, Chrome and Firefox (including using DownThemAll download manager), and was never a problem before I installed Windows 7. The errors are reproducible - so downloading the same program from the same place with different web browsers will always give the same problem when opening the program.

Am I just being unlucky or is there some issue with Windows 7?

Thanks!

ETA: My PC is a desktop, Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard, Intel Core i7 processor, 6GB RAM, Geforce GTX 275, 1TB Samsung SATA hard disk, if that's helpful at all...
Richard

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome.

I'm getting a hell of a lot of corrupted downloads
Downloads can be corrupted if the download process was not completed, also if a security software is blocking them.Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi, thanks for the reply! The download process definitely completes (tried multiple times with different browsers) and I haven't got any security software that could be blocking the downloads (AVG temporarily disabled, nothing else installed)...

The problem can also be with the download links and with the downloads location on your hard drive.

~~~~

You may want to try downloading with Orbit Downloader:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Try checking here
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Select your Version of 7 x86 or x64, make sure all your drivers are updated, especially those for your LAN card. If you are using both Gig Cards and the teaming feature, perhaps rethink that. Try a single card without teaming, and maybe even try adjusting the speed and duplex of the gig card down to 100 half duplex, just to see if that helps correct anything.

Thanks very much - think I do have up-to-date drivers installed but they were from a different place from your link so will try the ones you've linked to. Tried downloading with various download managers, and using Ubuntu on the same machine, but the downloads are still broken, so think it's almost certainly a Windows 7 problem...

Let me have a look at what you've got going on there. Type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the opened screen. Then zip the saved file and attach to a post.

I don't know what the issue is yet, but I can assure you it is not Windows 7.

Hi TorrentG,

Here's the NFO file from msinfo32. Thinking about it you're right it'd be very odd if this was a Windows 7 problem, I just jumped to that conclusion as that was the only thing that had changed since I last tried to download anything. I'm pretty sure that the problems are occurring more frequently with larger downloaded files - could it be something to do with my internet connection? Would be a bit odd as neither of my flatmates are having problems with it and they download large files more often than me...

Attachments

• RTomsettsys.nfo
    860.1 KB · Views: 482
Back