Windows 7 Drag And Drop

sirloyne

Banned
Untitled.jpg

How did they expect people to drag and drop a new folder without adding it to an existing one? No one can tell me they weren't going out of their way to make this as bad as possible. "List" is the only view that doesn't have these god damn rectangles, but then it's just one big side scrolling mess... not that any view is worth an ounce of crap. What a terrible pile of garbage.

ps. Not being able to group folders by letters just pisses me off every single time I have to look at this sh!t.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you wanted some suggestions. Or just wanted to,.. But I see in the right click context menu "group by" and the normal date or name, etc. But at the very bottom is more. Server different group options.

What do you mean "drag and drop a new folder"? I'm thinking you just don't have a blank area to drop a folder? You could always use cut/copy and paste. From the menu bar. Or make a folder for each letter of the alphabet. Or even a pop, contemporary, rock n roll.

Many different ways to organize you file index. I have the same issue with pictures/artwork. I like using send to option also. My you have a lot of music.

View attachment 22100

How did they expect people to drag and drop a new folder without adding it to an existing one? No one can tell me they weren't going out of their way to make this as bad as possible. "List" is the only view that doesn't have these god damn rectangles, but then it's just one big side scrolling mess... not that any view is worth an ounce of crap. What a terrible pile of garbage.

ps. Not being able to group folders by letters just pisses me off every single time I have to look at this sh!t.

• In details view you can click the column to sort alphabetically.
• Details view, is another where you don't see the square thumbnails
• If you have to select all of the folders (I can't tell what you're trying to do here reading around your rage for the filesystem's organization), there's a Ctrl + A shortcut
• I think this is also available for Windows 7:
TJy5z.png

There's also the group by option as tbint mentioned.

I'm on Windows 8 though so I can't remember exactly...

How did they expect people to drag and drop a new folder without adding it to an existing one?

Perhaps you mean, the files within the folder? :confused3:

All you need to do in that case then is open the folder select the files and drag them to your new folder. Getting annoyed though and blaming it on your Windows OS is no solution for your problem though. The filesystem is almost as organized as things can get if you know how to use it.

If you're talking about merging folders, then don't drag the folder you want to merge onto the folder you want to merge it with, drag it to it's parent directory, and the 2 folders with the same name will merge automatically.

BASvc.gif

Cheers
Ace

Last edited:
XP.jpg

Here's a shot from an XP computer. You'll notice the ease in which I add the new folder in the upper right? See how nicely they're organized and how easy it is to find a folder when they're sorted alphabetically? That's what I want. What do people with a lot of folders do, that's what I want to know. Anyone out there with 600 or so folder? How do you manage them? Thanks for your help, but you're damn right there's a lot of rage. Win 7 was designed solely for people who are wowed but bright colors and neat-o effects. It was made to appeal to the Facebookers and people who are drawn to shiny things. It was not meant to be productive in any way. It's as bad at everything as they could have made it. I take that back... they did make it 3x harder to do nothing in 8, so congrats to them I guess. As far as the Details view, then I would be stuck with a single column that would take forever to get to the bottom of... and A-H, look at the first picture... that's barely in the D's... that's what A-H would look like. It's useless. What's the point of those f!@#$%g blue rectangles in the first place? They accomplish nothing, except for preventing me from accomplishing anything.

Last edited:
View attachment 22102

Here's a shot from an XP computer. You'll notice the ease in which I add the new folder in the upper right? See how nicely they're organized and how easy it is to find a folder when they're sorted alphabetically? That's what I want. What do people with a lot of folders do, that's what I want to know. Anyone out there with 600 or so folder? How do you manage them? Thanks for your help, but you're damn right there's a lot of rage. Win 7 was designed solely for people who are wowed but bright colors and neat-o effects. It was made to appeal to the Facebookers and people who are drawn to shiny things. It was not meant to be productive in any way. It's as bad at everything as they could have made it. I take that back... they did make it 3x harder to do nothing in 8, so congrats to them I guess. As far as the Details view, then I would be stuck with a single column that would take forever to get to the bottom of... and A-H, look at the first picture... that's barely in the D's... that's what A-H would look like. It's useless. What's the point of those f!@#$%g blue rectangles in the first place? They accomplish nothing, except for preventing me from accomplishing anything.

Did you read what we posted? And I manage about nearly 20 000 folders just fine...

Perhaps Windows 7 is fairly new for you still or you haven't been using Windows long enough, but I'm not seeing why you are irritated here. If you knew how to manage your folders and files with all the functionality that Windows 7 gives you then you would be just fine.

Just my 2 cents.

It's useless. What's the point of those f!@#$%g blue rectangles in the first place?

Thumbnail view is good for managing lots of stuff. You know you can setup folder locations to be geared more towards media, or just general use as well.

Your frustration simply comes from a lack of patience, and a lack of understanding here. I don't see the need to help you out if you are not willing to listen to what others have suggested to you anyways. There's sorting options, grouping options and lots more views too.

I'm not here to argue, but you simply seem to want to debate about the usefulness of Windows instead of solving your own problem, or listening to what others have suggested, so what were you expecting us to give you in the responses to this thread exactly? :confused:

Here's a full thread I think may help you: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3952-file-folder-arrangement-group-sort-arrange.html

~Ace

Last edited:
"Did you read what we posted?"
I did. Did you read what I posted? Let's find out...

"And I manage about nearly 20 000 folders just fine..."
Post a screenshot. Not only would I like to see how you've done it, but I'd like to see something that says there's 20,000 folders there.

"Perhaps Windows 7 is fairly new for you still or you haven't been using Windows long enough, but I'm not seeing why you are irritated here."
1. I've been using Windows since 98
2. I'm going with the inability to sort folders alphabetically and those blue rectangles. I thought that was obvious.

"If you knew how to manage your folders and files with all the functionality that Windows 7 gives you then you would be just fine."
I think what you meant to say here was if I just learned how to live with Win 7's inability to manage folders, unlike all of it's predecessors, then I would be fine.

"Thumbnail view is good for managing lots of stuff. You know you can setup folder locations to be geared more towards media, or just general use as well."
None of this is useful, as all I want to manage is main folders (bands) containing sub-folders (albums).

"Your frustration simply comes from a lack of patience, and a lack of understanding here."
Actually it comes from Win 7's inability to perform in a useful way.

"I don't see the need to help you out if you are not willing to listen to what others have suggested to you anyways."
Well, I explained why your suggestion of a Details view was impractical, and I posted a screenshot of why your suggestion of A-H is worthless. Perhaps you're the one not listening.

"There's sorting options, grouping options and lots more views too."
Yes, and they all contain unsorted icons of varying sizes and blue rectangles that get in the way.

"I'm not here to argue, but you simply seem to want to debate about the usefulness of Windows instead of solving your own problem..."
The answer to my problem lies beyond the ability of Win 7.

"...or listening to what others have suggested..."
We've been over this already.

"...so what were you expecting us to give you in the responses to this thread exactly?"
Actually I was hoping someone with lots of folders would tell me how they manage them. Didn't we go over this also? All you said was you have a ridiculous number of folders, but didn't tell me how you sort them.

That link only confirms what I said. There's no good way to manage folders in Win 7. Go back and look at the XP shot, then look at the Win 7 shot... which one do you prefer?

Last edited:
Holy crap! You're a friggin' genius, my friend!

Just had a hard time keeping track myself. But since your post I been experimenting with the 4 different right click menu option. "arrange by, view, sort by and group by". I can get it to like that XP screenshot you had earlier post. Many different options thanks for that!

Just had a hard time keeping track myself. But since your post I been experimenting with the 4 different right click menu option. "arrange by, view, sort by and group by". I can get it to like that XP screenshot you had earlier post. Many different options thanks for that!

Hold on a second... did you say you CAN make 7 sort like XP? For the love of humanity... tell me how you did it! What options did you use?

Actually I was hoping someone with lots of folders would tell me how they manage them. Didn't we go over this also? All you said was you have a ridiculous number of folders, but didn't tell me how you sort them.

That link only confirms what I said. There's no good way to manage folders in Win 7. Go back and look at the XP shot, then look at the Win 7 shot... which one do you prefer?

Windows 7. But now I prefer Windows 8 now that it's out. Nothing you said confirms anything however, because it's all based on your fixed opinion about Windows 7. I haven't seen anybody else complain as much as you to be honest, so that must show something...

That kind of attitude isn't going to get you far though, so I can't help you.

If you can't deal with not having headers for every letter, then god help you. I can sort by name alphabetically, click anywhere in that folder, and hit the key for the letter that I want to navigate to, and it does the trick just fine.

qP2Qk.png

I've used Windows since before Win95 and I would have to say that I have managed to work with all of the explorer's without much hassle. Obviously it was more limited back then, but it's only improved upon the last for every Windows release. Performance-wise things got faster too. My XP machine can't handle this many folders almost, and the hardware in that tower is just fine.

If you right click inside of the folder, "Group By", then choose "More", maybe you'll find something that you like by selecting which group by options you have in that listbox?

Otherwise, you can create a batch script that would organize your folders into each folder letter as a category if you are going that way...

cheers.gif

Last edited:
Windows 7. But now I prefer Windows 8 now that it's out. Nothing you said confirms anything however, because it's all based on your fixed opinion about Windows 7. I haven't seen anybody else complain as much as you to be honest, so that must show something...

That kind of attitude isn't going to get you far though, so I can't help you.

If you can't deal with not having headers for every letter, then god help you. I can sort by name alphabetically, click anywhere in that folder, and hit the key for the letter that I want to navigate to, and it does the trick just fine.

qP2Qk.png

I've used Windows since before Win95 and I would have to say that I have managed to work with all of the explorer's without much hassle. Obviously it was more limited back then, but it's only improved upon the last for every Windows release. Performance-wise things got faster too. My XP machine can't handle this many folders almost, and the hardware in that tower is just fine.

If you right click inside of the folder, "Group By", then choose "More", maybe you'll find something that you like by selecting which group by options you have in that listbox?

Otherwise, you can create a batch script that would organize your folders into each folder letter as a category if you are going that way...

cheers.gif

Yeah, whatever, great... you don't count anymore.

Hold on a second... did you say you CAN make 7 sort like XP? For the love of humanity... tell me how you did it! What options did you use?

right click the white window, not a folder. in the context menu, first is Arrange By: use "Folder" right click again, second is view: I use small.

r click again: third is sort by: "name"
r click again: fourth is group by: "name"

the only difference I see so far is it grouped A-H, I-P see below.

Under the sort by and group by options is a more option you can go advanced option. Have not played with it to much myself but take a look.

group.jpg

Last edited:
the only difference I see so far is it grouped A-H, I-P

The problem is that when there are 250 folders in the A-H chunk, it's pretty much useless. Really, why even bother? I'm guessing they did it this way because it was easier for them.

All in all I'd say the individual folder for each letter is the best option. Besides, it's only a few more steps to accomplish the same thing... like most everything in Win 7 compared to XP. One good thing about 7 though... those blues man, those blues are the bluest blues... and the corners... the corners are so round...

I wasn't going to reply to this, but what the hell. You said you "manage about nearly 20 000 folders just fine" so I said post a screen shot. Unless you have another 19,975 folders after the M's, you're lying. That shows total "Items", not "Folders". What did you do, go into your Programs folder and click properties and think I wouldn't notice?

I wasn't going to reply to this, but what the hell. You said you "manage about nearly 20 000 folders just fine" so I said post a screen shot. Unless you have another 19,975 folders after the M's, you're lying. That shows total "Items", not "Folders". What did you do, go into your Programs folder and click properties and think I wouldn't notice?

A programs folder with 20 000 folders? I don't think so... :confused: This is my development folder. :) It contains other source code from collaborations from years ago, among present projects that I've completed or am currently working on. There are lots of files in here for various snippets of code, and many more in subfolders.

If I may ask, tell me where you or I mentioned that it all had to be in one directory tree though? :) I posted that screenshot to show you the relative size for an idea of the number of items that this one folder on my hard drive contains. It's the biggest personal folder I have on this machine anyways (collectively with all containing data). There's part in that folder which are just source and header files, but within each folder there's about ~500-3000 folders in each branch, and subfolders to those subfolders for various modules.

How did you prove anything anyways in writing a reply of disbelief? The idea that you just bumped this thread not because you needed further help, but because you wanted to argue about a folder size a week after your latest post is enough of an eye opener for the kind of member you would be as well.

The real fact here that you may not be seeing here because you're main objective is obviously to try and prove me wrong, is that when you use the search function it still searches all the subfolders and results are returned as folders or files regardless (they are still items on the filesystem that you need to manage). Thus there's no difference to having folders or files when it comes to management with your filesystem data. They both take up a row in the detail view, or a thumbnail in icon view. They both still have a name that identifies itself, and other than their functionality/purpose, the only other difference would be their default icons. Everything else is pretty much identical between the two.

I don't see how you've done any good by reposting in this thread you had already found a solution to, you seem to just want to argue about how "bad" Windows 7 is... Folders or files I can still manage 20000 items, and it's been increasing for quite a few years now. Your views on Windows 7 are only your own, and I haven't seen too many people that share your view either to be honest with you. If you want I can tally up a total folder count adding everything all together, but for someone who just seems to want to argue, I don't think it would satisfy.

~Ace

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom