Windows 10 Driver Issues???

Sankalp

Ok, So my PC was heavily infected my malware, hence I reinstalled windows 10. Installed drivers from company site. Now some problems remain:

1. No digital output device listed in playback devices

2. Company signature missing when I check system properties

3. USB 3.0 has very less speed (won't go above 15 mbps).

Please post make/model of the computer this is occurring on.

When you reinstalled W10, what media source did you use? where did you download the ISO file from? And what tool did you use to burn the DVD or USB stick with? Or did you use Microsoft boxed retail media disc or download?

When you reinstalled W10, did you select Custom install and erase the hard drive prior to reinstalling W10? If you didn't select this option, you could still have a virus or malware on your computer's hard drive, such as a Rootkit or Bootkit. Suggest you go to TrendMicro and download free RootkitBuster.com to check for this.

On the digital output, you're devices list should look similar to this:
Sound_Playback box W10 Pro.jpg

If it doesn't you may have not installed your W10 from legit media, or that media was corrupted, or your hard drive may have failed.

Did you test your hard drive as here: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

On your Question #2; where exactly are you talking about? Do you mean by "Company Signature" a Digital Driver Certificate? This doesn't come up in Device Manager, so are you talking about a specific device driver? If so, which device in Device Manager? Or a System app? There is no "Company Signature" under System in W10. Perhaps you are paraphrasing, so I'm not sure where you are getting this from.

I don't have USB 3.0 on any of the dozens of computers I own, so unfortunately I cannot address this problem; but other Admins here on the forum may be able to help on that. I can tell you that I had a really weird problem on a Client's USB 3.0 external hard drive last week-it failed. And I was getting speeds of 20-30 times slower than normal; even on my old Dell desktop PC running USB 2.0. Turns out it failed and I had to get him a new one (and this drive was a WD only 8 months old). On the built-in diagnostics that came on the drive itself, the 2 minute short test was taking 30 minutes!! The long test never even completed on the 1TB drive after running all day. Do you have another USB 3.0 hard drive you can plug into this PC and test the transfer speed with? If the 2nd USB 3.0 drive runs at faster (normal) speeds, your 1st USB 3.0 drive may have failed. Run the diagnostics that came on it or download from the manufacturer's website and test it. If it fails or takes unusually long to complete standard Short and Long tests, it may have failed and has nothing to do with your W10 or your computer.

Get some answers back to us and we'll advise further.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

You mention installing drivers from company site but did you install newest Usb 3.0 driver because every motherboard as a Usb 3.0 utility driver and quite often they are updated as well.

Yeah, good point, Rich!:cheerful: I don't know what computer OP has, but the last few threads he's posted he has told us his PC was a self-built rig; so the Motherboard usb 3.0 driver update is a really good idea.:applaud: Of course if that fails, he's gonna need to look at Windows in-place upgrade, reset, reinstallation, and testing his external hdd as I mention. Especially if his transfer speed on his computer's usb 3.0 port is seriously slow; he could have either a bad usb hub if his usb drive is plugged into that before the computer usb port, or if the hdd just took a dump like my Client's. That drive wreaked havoc with his QuickBooks company file and totally wasted it! :noise:

Have a good one!
BBJ

I mean :

1. No digital audio output device is listed in playback devices :
2qjkv9d.png

2. I meant company's logo as in :
2evsy93.png

On the right side of system, no company logo. I have Asus Rog G551VW

3. About usb 3.0 here is my driver (Looks like company site did not give me any usb driver so windows has installed a generic one..) :

2hyvv43.png

And mem diagnostic test gave no error in my HD.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks...

Any ideas?

Missing driver and/or device not connected.

Neither. As in the screenshot. digital audio is just not showing up. If it was device not connected well the image should have said "unplugged" but it didn't. It should at least show Digital Audio (S/PDIF). Don't know if it does have some specific drivers.

There's never a company logo....can you explain further.

Logo as in http://www.tipsdotcom.com/images/change-system-properties-logo-01.jpg

Again....we need your complete system specs!

Asus ROG G551VW notebook

2.6 Ghz core i7 6700HQ
16.0 gb ram
Intel HD 530 skylake graphics
Nvidia Geforce gtx 960m ddr5 graphics 4.0 gb dedicated
directx 12

It should at the very least show up in device manager. If it does not then either it is disable in BIOS/UEFI or the hardware is bad and/or physically disconnected provided it is not integrated.

It should at the very least show up in device manager. If it does not then either it is disable in BIOS/UEFI or the hardware is bad and/or physically disconnected provided it is not integrated.

No, not even a single audio output can be seen in the device manager:

Untitled.png

How to enable this hardware in BIOS? (Provided it's integrated)

Point is it is not showing headphones as well, however when I plug the headphones, they work. (Even when there is no trace of them in device manager or playback devices...)

Also see:

Untitled.png

In above image I can't see "Digital" below "Analog". Don't know why. Please Explain...

Last edited:
I see....that is for OEM systems only and maybe for windows 8.1 and earlier. Nothing for windows 10....on any windows 10 system I've seen.....OEM or custom build.

Did your laptop come with windows 8.1 or windows 10?

It came with Windows 10 Home Edition.

Have you installed the latest BIOS firmware update ..... BIOS v209 dated 2016/5/11?

Asus driver support says it's compatible with BIOS v206, so I have BIOS v206.

Here's your support/driver website.....
ROG G551VW - Support

I have already downloaded those drivers.

Any ideas?

No, not even a single audio output can be seen in the device manager:

I see the Realtek High Definition Audio right there in your screenshot?

That's what I'm using for my Audio device, because my Sound Blaster Card won't work in Windows 10.

Right click on it, and open properties and see if the driver is present and if it says that it's working properly.
If not uninstall it and reboot your computer and force it to reload.

You should see something like this in the Sound window...

Audio_zpspcxwvcjv.jpg

Mike

I see the Realtek High Definition Audio right there in your screenshot?

That's what I'm using for my Audio device, because my Sound Blaster Card won't work in Windows 10.

Right click on it, and open properties and see if the driver is present and if it says that it's working properly.
If not uninstall it and reboot your computer and force it to reload.

You should see something like this in the Sound window...

That device was working properly, device manager said. However I still tried updating that driver and it said "you already have updated driver". Then I rebooted my PC. When I clicked on "Playback Devices", I still see this:
2qjkv9d.png

Why?

Edit: Stick to "1. No digital output device listed in playback devices" first. Thanks...

Last edited:
That's what you should see.
Click on Configure and select the correct setup for your speakers and then click Test and see if you have sound.

Uncheck the boxes for disabled and disconnected devices.

I don't think it would let you select it as the default device if it wasn't working.

Are your speaker cables plugged into your motherboard?

Mike

That's what you should see.
Click on Configure and select the correct setup for your speakers and then click Test and see if you have sound.

Uncheck the boxes for disabled and disconnected devices.

I don't think it would let you select it as the default device if it wasn't working.

Are your speaker cables plugged into your motherboard?

Mike

My Laptop has inbuilt sonic speakers. And yes I configured them and tested the sound...they're working... Now?

I see....that is for OEM systems only and maybe for windows 8.1 and earlier. Nothing for windows 10....on any windows 10 system I've seen.....OEM or custom build.
>>>This is correct! I have 5-Windows10 machines now, all OEM as bassfisher you mention, and I checked 2 of the 5 that have been Activated and Licensed for W10; I'm not seeing the Company logo in the System Properties screen at all!! I recall seeing this on some older systems; Vista/W7/W8x I think; but none on W10. So this has nothing to do with your audio or sound problem IMHO.<<<

BBJ

Did your laptop come with windows 8.1 or windows 10? Have you installed the latest BIOS firmware update ..... BIOS v209 dated 2016/5/11?

ROG G551VW - Support

Did your laptop come with windows 8.1 or windows 10? Have you installed the latest BIOS firmware update ..... BIOS v209 dated 2016/5/11?

ROG G551VW - Support

It came with Windows 10 Home Edition.

Asus driver support says it's compatible with BIOS v206, so I have BIOS v206.
>>>Well, it doesn't actually say "compatible", it's simply listed as the 2nd newest BIOS in the driver download list. This is not what they mean. the newest BIOS v2.09 actually REPLACES the BIOS v2.06, as Asus engineers found bugs in the v2.06 version that have since been corrected in the v2.09 release. If you read the v2.09 release notes, it may even say that they fixed this weird audio problem you are having. You realize that if there WAS a bug with the audio in v2.06 and you DON'T install the v2.09-->it will never get fixed? Right?

**CAUTION:**
Next thing to mention is that if you have never done a BIOS flash update; DON'T ATTEMPT IT YOURSELF!! THIS IS A VERY HIGH RISK PROCEDURE AND OVER 90% OF USERS WHO TRY THIS FAIL AND BRICK THEIR MOTHERBOARDS!! This can be a very very expensive mistake; as new laptop Mobos cost from $275-$1500! Better to take it to a professional licensed Computer Tech and pay him to do it for you. Then you can go and restore/reset/reinstall your W10 and all should work for a relatively small fee (BIOS upgrades in the US typically run about $35-$105).

That being said, downloading all the newest drivers as you did (sounds like you did it multiple times) can never fix inherent design problems in the BIOS!! As I see it, you have 2 choices before you:
1.) Flash your BIOS to v2.09 as bassfisher and I recommended, and attempt to repair your W10 via software repairs. (either you Flash your BIOS or pay a professional Tech to do for you). Retest your audio.
2.) Return your Asus laptop to the place you purchased it from for repair or replacement or refund. Install your new laptop, connect it to the Internet and test your sound. It should then work!

If you've had experience previous flashing your BIOS, then it would make sense financially for you to attempt this as a no-cost solution to your problem. If the problem persists after the BIOS flash is done, and you retest and perhaps run software repairs such as windows restore/reset/reinstallation as mentioned, then you very likely have a defective laptop and it should be returned to the place of purchase as mentioned above for depot repair/replacement/refund!

Lastly, this looks like a pretty new laptop being that it came with W10 pre-installed on it; if you've had it less than 1 year, you can exercise the 1-year factory warranty that almost all new laptops have including ASUS. If you can't do or can't afford to do option #1--don't sweat it; simply take it back to your place of purchase, and bring your receipt with you. They should make it right. And if they don't you can call ASUS support directly on the website link that bassfisher gave you, and you can return it directly to them. You will have to pay shipping cost (about $45-$60 US), and they will repair it or replace it and ship back free to you.

It's starting to sound like they gave you a bad laptop, or a floor-demo or something if you bought it at a retail store. If you bought online, where did you buy it from? And was it a reputable company such as amazon or newegg? If you got from an individual seller or an ebay seller; you have to watch out for the scammers there. Your laptop could be bad out of the box!!

Good luck! :cheerful:

BBJ

I have already downloaded those drivers.

Any ideas?

Hi

If you speakers are working in the Sound interface then when do they not work?
Usually if they work here they will work everywhere.

Can you play music files etc?

As far as why you only have the one option instead of multiple I'm guessing it's because that's all there is.

I have a lot of options because I have a Sound Blaster card, a Video Card that also has Audio output, and the onboard sound, which I'm using because the drivers for my sound blaster card don't work with Windows 10.

I'm going to try using my Sound Blaster card again after the August 2 update to Windows Anniversary.

Mike

Last edited:
Yes, I can play music files..

I don't understand. My Laptop has HDMI port. To run such system it should have a "digital output" device. But neither can I find one in playback devices, nor in device manager. It only shows Speakers.

Here are the detailed specs: ROG G551VW - Specifications

Audio: Built-in 2 Speaker(s) And Microphone
ICEpower®
ASUS SonicMaster Technology

Ports: 1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack (1 x SPDIF) (Audio-in Combo)
3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
1 x mini Display Port

Edit: As per the specs it should have realtek digital output listed...

Any help?

Last edited:
Hi

Read through this, and look under System Devices in Device Manager and see if you find it listed there.

If so try the options listed in this post, see if any of them help.

Drivers - Cannot find Realtek in my Device Manager

Mike

The weird thing is that I find many posts about this problem going back to Windows 7 and I think that every one of them is on a Asus computer.

Last edited:
Back