Windows 7 Driver Notice

Radenight

Hey all!

I've noticed alot of driver questions coming in since the public release of the RC.. alot of which have been solved but alot that also simply can't be solved due to lack of driver support at this point in time.. ;)

I just want to remind those new to testing a RC.. Though Windows 7 RC is very compatible there are still alot of devices that just don't have driver support at this stage in the game... So, if you've tried using the most recent Windows Vista drivers and any Windows 7 specific drivers for your particular device and it still won't work or won't work right than there's a very good chance that you'll just have to wait until the manufacturers release a Windows 7 driver for your devices.. Which hopefully starts sooner than later.. ;)

In the meantime, the fact that your device may not be supported this early on doesn't mean that Windows 7 is at fault.. It just means you'll have to wait (if a workaround can't be found of course).. which unfortunately is one of the risks you take when testing Beta and RC versions of an OS...

If your thinking of testing the Windows 7 RC a good habit to get into is to do some research on your hardware prior to installing the RC.. If there are driver's available and if you notice from other people's posts that the drivers available seem to work fine in the RC then you shouldn't have any major problems.. but if you see that someone or multiple people just can't get a certain device to work no matter what they try then that's a very indication that the RC may not be right for you to try.. ;) This is especially true for people who run small businesses and need every single component to function exactly as it's intended to..

Just some food for thought when your clicking on that "Download" button to get Win 7 RC...

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more, and . . . the Beta worked fine on my Dell Dimension 3000 with Intel 865g chipset, after Windows Update seemed to fix the drivers for me, but the RC only gives me 480 x 640 . . . and no sign of drivers in Windows update.

Looks like it's a WDMM VGA card for me from the local computer shop

:)

Drivers and Vendors

I sure hope we are not again falling into the non driver development phase like with Vista. I realize October is still 2 1/2 months off but I am not seeing a whole lot of drivers or upgrades being made by vendors to support Windows 7. I have also found some drivers made for Vista showing "not compatible for Windows 7" but after installing them they work. I do not know if this is a bug in Windows 7's compatible mode or not yet as it could be a bug in the actual driver itself.

The other area involves security of the operating system so I have no idea why Microsoft is so adamant about hooking Internet Explorer into the operating system. A lot of the previous security flaws in Windows were due to IE being hooked into the operating system. Another words installing the browser as one would any other independent part of the system such as software or other browsers which each have their own independent settings but not hooked directly into the operating system.

I shouldn't have to upgrade my graphics card.
An ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro,i can't get 1024x768 resolution.:mad:
If Microsoft want me to purchase a copy,they'd better damn well sort these issues out.

Last edited:
If Microsoft want me to purchase a copy,they'd better damn well sort these issues out.

That is the root of the forum complaints!
The problem is NOT Microsoft's. The whole purpose of the builds, the Beta and the RC, over the past months, was to give the hardware and software developers ample time to make sure their products were updated. Microsoft do not design drivers, nor do they take responsibility for third party program problems. They have done their best with the compatibility feature.

I have to disagree.
Microsoft doesn't offer support for custom graphics cards.
Quite poor really,i hated Vista,and was looking forward to this new version.

Your card supports DX10 as well as shader model 4.0, there's no need to upgrade and methinks your problem lies else where....
Which drivers are you currently using? If you want to try the latest version, go here: Graphics Drivers & Software

If your already using the latest version could you post more of your system spec and perhaps more detail of your actual problem.
Thanks..:)

I have to disagree.
Microsoft doesn't offer support for custom graphics cards.

Exactly my point. They never have; never have intended to and probably never will. It is up to the hardware developers. That is why , as I said, they get the very early releases.

Let me see...Im running a Foxconn P4M9007 motherboard.
Intel Pentium D Dual core 2x2.80 GHz CPU.
Im running Windows 7 build 7600 x64.
The latest driver i've got is the Vista & Win 7x64 9.8 ATI catalyst driver,released yesterday.
This problem is intermittent,sometimes it'll let me have 1024x768 resolution,other times i've installed it,it wouldn't,and i've had to use the generic driver,which leaves me without the Aero,leaving the taskbar looking..well not right.

Hmm...I would have thought that even with the generic driver you would still have aero? So is it running ok now?

Nope! I don't have the Aero with the generic driver which puzzles me.
I bet if i was to switch to the on board graphics card,i'd probably have Aero.
There is a registry hack to force aero,but i'd rather leave it as it is,otherwise i won't know when it's really fixed.

Nope! I don't have the Aero with the generic driver which puzzles me.
I bet if i was to switch to the on board graphics card,i'd probably have Aero.
There is a registry hack to force aero,but i'd rather leave it as it is,otherwise i won't know when it's really fixed.
Maybe? So are you running with the driver installed?

The driver ATI Catalyst 9.8 for Vista & 7 x64 is installed,but disabled.
I had to disable in safe mode,as i got no signal at 1024x768.

How did you install this driver? Did you install it straight over the top of an old one or did you uninstall a driver first or lastly, was it a clean install? The reason I ask is because Catalyst drivers can really mess you around if they aren't un-installed properly or installed properly...

Also why not try a different driver like 9.7?

Good point there Kemical :) I treied all of them from 9.6 - 9.8,i uninstalled the running one secure erased the set up files,then downloaded the new one and installed it.
I suppose i could try Advanced systemcare to clean the registry before i install it,what do you think.
Im sure it's not my hardware,as i had 1024x768 for a while before it went Phhhhtt!

Sorry to double post,but there's another thing.
Everytime i use external multimedia it crashes after a few mins.
If i use WMP it's ok as long as i don't play DVD's,that's probably just instabilities you get with OS's in development.
As well as compatability issues.

Back